Annoyed with Mr Airfix

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Starting to amass 'stuff' needed for my forthcoming SK build. The one thing that has niggled me most is the lack of correct decals with the 1/48 kit. The kit covers most Mks of helicopter and does come with a set of decals for them!! What it hasn't taken into account is that from 1982 - the RN for definite moved from white lettering and numbers to black!! IE the 'Royal Navy' and side numbers as well as removing the white from the roundels. This was as a result of the Falklands conflict and moving to a more tactical paint scheme.
Other than Hannants, are there any other sources you guys use for replacement decals in 1/48 scale I'm not aware of!!

Pre 1982 Paint scheme
819 Mk2 seaking1.jpg

Post 1982 Paint scheme!
Downbird Fairley Scotland.jpg
Any info gratefully received!!!

Doug

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The only others I know of, and you probably know this too, is this set also from Hannants for a HAS2 - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AZD48048?result-token=hjaFM

The Xtradecal sheet - X48243 - has AEW2 decals with the black lettering you want but the serial won’t work for you. An option. Might be to mix and match individual numbers for serials decals for the particular cab you want, but pricey.

I have to say, I’m not impressed with the 1/48 Xtradecal sets for Sea Kings; the RAF markings are a bit of a dogs breakfast with only 202 Sqn (302 according to Xtradecal) or 78 Sqn cabs - and one of the serials provided is actually for a Gazelle! There are no options for a 22 or 203 Sqn cab.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I have the mix and match as my 'go to' option at the moment Rick. Trying to get a specific Prestwick side number/serial number combo.
Found a PW for the tail PW side numbers were 01 through to 07. Have al the serial numbers in my log book so it's just getting the scale and such!!
Thanks for the link Gary, they are more suitable for a Culdrose based cab, but thank you for taking the time to locate, much appreciated.