Any tips to simulate a vehicle vinyl roof covering?

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips or experience in air brushing a vinyl roof covering as was popular in the 1980s?

I am replicating an early Range Rover 3 door in 1/24 (Italeri kit) which one of my customers had to which we fitted a vinyl top after a very heavy hailstorm gave it an appearance akin to a golf ball. A strip of 1mm masking tape should represent the the stiched join lines well but to get a textured look is proving vexing, perhaps thicker paint at higher pressure?

I use Tamiya acrylics and a Bartsharp AB with 0.2, 0.3 and 0.5 needle/cap kits. Any ideas gratefully received.

Stefan

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The only thing I can think of is to use Mr Surfacer 500 to create the texture. Stipple it on. When dry gently sand back to a finish you're happy with. Then paint as usual.
It's only a suggestion so would need a bit of practice to see if it would work. Others may have better ideas.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'd definitely have a go at Jim's method, or maybe try quite a thick primer airbrushed on at low pressure to give a heavy orange peel. Once the tops are sanded off that it should be close.

I've done very similar on full sized vehicles to represent interior vinyl textures so don't see why it shouldn't work scaled down.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Nice one Andy, things have obviously moved on in the trade since my day because we would just replace damaged interior trim.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A variation on Jim's theme is to use liquid cement brushed on then stippled with a short densely bristled brush. I use an acid brush that I trimmed the bristles down to about .250 roughly 6mm. It produced a very nice canvas top for one of my trucks.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Thanks Rick, I have a lot of different techniques to try now. This is why this forum is so great.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I got a few old issues of FineScale Modeller last week, and in one of them is an article about an American car kit conversion that includes a vinyl roof. I just got that issue out, and what it says about the roof is:—
George S. Bojaciuk in FineScale Modeller (December 1997 issue) said:
Once the body [paint] had fully cured, I had a painted body with a primered roof. Simulating the vinyl top still posed a problem, but after experimenting I decided to use Plasti-Kote black wrinkle paint (No. 217) to simulate the vinyl roof. I masked the body and applied the paint from an aerosol can.
That’s it, nothing more. In the photos with the article you can clearly see a dimpled/rough-looking finish to the roof, as it catches the light.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Probably too late now, but when I was building my narrowboat, I needed none slip areas on the metal deck..

I neatly painted the area to be treated and when the paint was tacky, I sprinkled very fine silver sand through a sieve onto the paint. Worked a treat and set like concrete.

Perhaps a similar scale method would work here?

Ron