Applying a wash

D

Didern

Hi.

Im corently painting a F14 tomcat from Tamiya. For the base color i have use tamiyas spray AS 25/26. I wanna apply a wash to make it more detailed. I know how to use a wash, but having problems on making one. So i wondering can i use the Tamiya XF and X series paint and mix it with Tamiyas thinner and some water? Or are other paints better to use? And how do i mix it(what volums of each)?

thx for the help

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Welcome to the forum mate.

Can't help with the wash question, I'll leave that to the more experienced, but what decals are you after because John, see the banner at the top of the page, has them in his shop - Transfers & Decals for scale models - or just use this link.

Tony.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Didern

Im after Decals for F14 Tomcat 1/32 scale. primerly looking for the Jolly Rogers decal like these: http://www.fightertowndecals.com/files/FTD32016_VFA103_big.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Found these on Hannants website - Buy CAM CAM32107 1:32 scale from Hannants. We sell Aircraft decals (military), models, decals, paints & books.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would recommend using the Flory washes.

Gloss varnish the model and apply your decals as usual. Make sure they conform using Micrscale or other decal solutions then seal your decals with gloss varnish. It is then essential to make sure the varnish is cured properly, I leave it at least 24 hours.

Then apply the wash with a wide brush all over the model and let it dry. This is a clay base wash that you then, with a piece of damp cloth over your fingertip, wipe in the direction of the airflow to remove the wash leaving it in the panel lines. You then seal it with another varnish coat to get the appropriate finish for the model, gloss, satin or matt. You can control the overall level of weathering by the amount of wash you wipe off, that is what I like, the level of control you have.

T

tecdes

Yes used the FLory Wash on my last model as Barry mentioned above.

Just make sure you get a good coat of gloss every where. My problem was found to be where I had not quite covered in places & then it was difficult to remove the wash. Nice thing is that want it a bit more in an area then just slosh a bit more on. Found it filled panel lines very well.

Laurie

D

Didern

any special gloss u recomd using? do tamiya have any gloss (spray)?

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Didern

I use Vallejo Varnishes. Not tired any others so cannot do a comparison but many on this forum have sung a praise.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
\ said:
any special gloss u recomd using? do tamiya have any gloss (spray)?
I am not sure about Tamiya but I use Vallejo acrylic varnishes. They need the 24 hours period to cure but they provide an excellent result. I airbrush them (thinned a little) but I believe they can also be hand brushed.

D

Didern

I have not invested in an airbrush atm, dont think i will some time so either. will it effect the model in a negativ way if it is brushed on?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Didern

Some people can get superb results by using those hairy sticks and their skill must be admired. I am sure that with a lot or practise you could do the same.

For me though the airbrush is the way to get the best possible paint finish and the kind of subtle weathering effects I want.

B

batcode

re vanishs i would be weary of the tamiya gloss as i tried to use it but it smudged the paint , as for wash u could try a mechanical pencil as is small lead ive tried it in past and does work thu takes patintce , but as few mentioned the flory models wash is great