Army Paint

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Has anyone used the Army Paint Anti Shine Matt Varnish.
I want to spray the boat I'm doing, but I don't want to put varnish through my air brush. Comments please. Its to give a protective coat to the hull whilst handling it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If it’s to protect during handling, then you’re better off with gloss varnish. Matt varnish is usually relatively weak, while gloss varnish is much stronger. You can then always add a matt coat when you’re done handling the model.

Aside from that, I have Army Painter matt varnish, but the type in the eyedropper bottles. It’s nice and matt, but probably impractical for applying to a whole 1:72 scale boat.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If it’s to protect during handling, then you’re better off with gloss varnish. Matt varnish is usually relatively weak, while gloss varnish is much stronger.
The anti shine is supposed to be for protecting war gaming miniatures, that are handled a lot. So wondered if anyone had used it.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Why don't you want to put varnish through your airbrush?
Pete
Quite simple really, don't want to knacker my brush, if there's an easy option. From what I've read on here some people swear by using AB for varnish while others seem not so keen.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm assuming you mean the rattle can version? I haven't used the Army Painter one but I did try out a can from another reputable brand and it didn't go well due to the lack of control. I ended up doing it again with my airbrush.

There were too many different faces and angles to spray at so I got a build up of dry areas, giving the dreaded frosted look. Spraying the outside of a miniature, aircraft, tank etc would probably go much better as it would be easier to keep the surface wet while spraying.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I just remembered that I have used the aerosol version, years ago. It went on very matt, but I find it hard to say how actually durable it is. My normal way of varnishing metal wargames figures was to spray them with gloss varnish first for strength, and when that had dried, the matt in order to kill the shine.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I just remembered that I have used the aerosol version, years ago. It went on very matt, but I find it hard to say how actually durable it is. My normal way of varnishing metal wargames figures was to spray them with gloss varnish first for strength, and when that had dried, the matt in order to kill the shine.
Sorry Jakko, did reply last night but the post has disappeared, still getting used to this new fangled thingy. lol.
Should say that I have used Polyvine dead flat matt on the other boat, it's for floors. Very good flat finish but can be a bit patchy if not put on heavy.
Pete asks 'why not AB' but there seems to be so many people that have issues spraying varnish. Don't want to knack the AB or screw the model. So rattle can could be the answer ???

Andy, thanks for that could see it being an issue on miniatures, but on the flat ish sides of a hull maybe.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Quite simple really, don't want to knacker my brush, if there's an easy option. From what I've read on here some people swear by using AB for varnish while others seem not so keen.
I can't see how varnish would knacker an airbrush - it's only paint with no pigment in after all. The only problem that I'm aware of is that being clear, it can be hard to see when you've cleaned it all out of the a/b.
Pete

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I can't see how varnish would knacker an airbrush - it's only paint with no pigment in after all. The only problem that I'm aware of is that being clear, it can be hard to see when you've cleaned it all out of the a/b.
Pete
OK not knacker as make it unusable but unless it's cleaned really well then it's going to cause a problem. And a bigger problem than acrylics. Was only asking if anyone had used the Army Spray

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I recall, I liked the Army Painter matt varnish from the aerosol for how matt it turned out, but like I said, that was my principal reason for using it — not for actual strength in handling. But I suppose your feeling could well be right, that it might be strong exactly because it’s intended for wargamers. TBH, you could always just try it.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
As I recall, I liked the Army Painter matt varnish from the aerosol for how matt it turned out, but like I said, that was my principal reason for using it — not for actual strength in handling. But I suppose your feeling could well be right, that it might be strong exactly because it’s intended for wargamers. TBH, you could always just try it.
Have got some ordered so will give it a try. Not handling to much, but is easier if there's some protection. Reviews are pretty good we'll see.
Andy