Austin K2 question

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The Perrys one is what I mean, with the 'Luke Warm in Cairo' figs, which have BOTH nurses and Anthony Quayle with radio pack and VERY short shorts!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The Perrys one is what I mean, with the 'Luke Warm in Cairo' figs, which have BOTH nurses and Anthony Quayle with radio pack and VERY short shorts!
Never saw them….need a look I think. Have you used Perrys figures before? They are nice figures, very good sculpts and usually accurate but can suffer a bit with flash.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Just had a shufti…….Cracking figures aren’t they…..wish they did them in 1/35
And therein another reason I downsized from 1/35 to ever expanding 28mm
See, I've had figures and stuff in this scale since it was 25mm!

Not like I REALLY need an excuse but I may now HAVE to do the Katy in b+w. I have so many shades of grey in Gunze paint

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
And therein another reason I downsized from 1/35 to ever expanding 28mm
See, I've had figures and stuff in this scale since it was 25mm!

Not like I REALLY need an excuse but I may now HAVE to do the Katy in b+w. I have so many shades of grey in Gunze paint
Difficult one that…..not all greys are created equal, some are blue grey, some are green grey, some are purple based, etc. I would pick one mid grey that you like and lighten or darken it as required…..

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Difficult one that…..not all greys are created equal, some are blue grey, some are green grey, some are purple based, etc. I would pick one mid grey that you like and lighten or darken it as required…..
I think I've got about five different GREY greys, let alone the greeny- bluey- ones. And I don't even make modern US aircraft!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
CE35175D-C794-4248-9011-51B2C17440AA.jpeg
I think I explained that badly Chris…..and don’t take any of this as gospel because I’ve never tried it. It’s just the way I would approach the subject if I had to.

What I was trying to say is that all greys are really just desaturated versions of a colour. If you mix different greys from different bottles in the same model the result won’t work as a greyscale image because the underlying colour variation will be evident when they are placed next to each other. For greyscale painting to work only one grey pigment base needs to be used, and it is then just lightened or darkened to show highlights and shadows.

Using this image as an example shows what I mean. In this picture the colour of the sand to the left of the truck bonnet, and the top of the bonnet, are pretty much the same. The shadows under the sand mats are also extremely similar in colour to the shade on the scrub in the background. Further, both of these examples are just lighter and darker versions of the same shade. To paint this you could only use one grey as your base.

Using Vallejo colours as a basis, if you used mid grey for the scrub and sky grey for the sand it just wouldn’t work. They have pretty much the right weights, being as dark and as light as these examples, but when they are next to each other one will look warmer (more red) and one will look cooler (more blue).

Not sure which colour I would use as a basis myself, but there is definitely a yellow brown component to that still so any grey with a blueish tinge is out. I’ve seen several models done in grey scale, and this is the aspect that has let them down to me. They’ve always been too blue……

One things for sure, it’s a lot easier to paint them in colour ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This discussion reminds me of how, about 15 years ago, I had the idea to screw with 40K tournament organisers who deduct points for having unpainted armies and require at least three colours on a figure for it to be considered “painted”: make sure all your figures are plastic with at least one metal part each (or vice versa), then paint the grey plastic parts a medium grey, paint the white metal parts a dull metallic grey, and finally, paint the black plastic base black …

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It's times like this that I'm so glad I'm a 'Near enough and it'll do for me' merchant! ;)

Pablo Picasso
Ah, but you have the eye and brain that allows you to do this sort of thing with colour without having to think too much Ron. Some of us have to work it out first ;) .