Aviation News-Aircraft carriers in the Pacific.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Pacific will be chock-full of aircraft carriers this summer, with three separate exercises involving four different flattops one of them the Norfolk, Va.-based Enterprise.

"This summer you will see some significant activity in the Pacific, multiple aircraft carriers operating together with their associated forces, operating at some times with other nation's navies in the region," said Adm. Gary Roughead, commander of Pacific Fleet. "In point of fact, one of the carriers that will be operating in the Pacific is an Atlantic fleet carrier. That has not been done in a long time."

He spoke Tuesday during an address to the international Asia Society in Washington.

Although extensive details on the training exercises were not divulged, Roughead said this convergence of ships is a rare event.

"We have not seen this level of aircraft carrier activity for a couple years," said Roughead. "That number of aircraft carriers in the Pacific underway, in close proximity to each other, [hasn't happened] in 10 years."

Three carrier strike groups will take part in a June exercise in the western Pacific along with Marine and Air Force units.

A single carrier will take part in a Rim of the Pacific exercise in mid-July, and two carriers will wrap up with an August exercise.

Some of the exercises will involve allied warships.

Roughead did not name the East Coastcarrier. But asked afterwards about bringing the Enterprise to the Pacific, Roughead told a reporter, "She has the opportunity to do it and we're going bring her around."

The Reagan left San Diego on her maiden voyage Jan. 4 and will be hitting the six-month mark at the commencement of the exercise season. It was not confirmed if the Navy's newest Nimitz-class carrier will participate.

B

Bunkerbarge

Barry,

Interestingly enough I went to a wedding this year in April in Portsmouth and took the opportunity to have a look around the historic dockyard and do the harbour tour.

At the time we had all our three cariers in but what I didn't know was that although we have three carriers we only have the manpower to operate two at any one time. It is assumed that at least one will always be undergoing repairs/refit!!

N

Nigel.D

Sorry Richard we dont have carriers. It pains me greatly to say this but we have Nothing you could call a carrier since Ark Royal went out of service

B

Bunkerbarge

Well, of course, they have cheekily called one of these little tinkers the "Ark Royal" but it doesn't look much like the one I was watching on TV the other day at the bottom of the Meddy!!

D

duncan

Agreed, they should never have called the Invincible class through-deck-cruisers after the WW11 Ark Royal while it`s crew and all people who remember it`s loss are still alive IMO.