Aviation News-Another great non-stop flight.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Steve Fossett will attempt to conduct the longest non-stop flight in history but unlike the current record holders, Fossett will be going at it alone.

The 61-year-old adventurer, who already holds dozens of endurance, piloting and sporting records, downplayed his chance of success during a preflight press conference on Monday in Florida, where he plans to begin what is being billed as "the ultimate flight".

o.gif

"I'm not confident of success because of what I'm trying to do," Fossett said. "I'm trying to fly the airplane to its fullest capability of distance and so I'm stretching the limits of the airplane."

Fossett last year flew GlobalFlyer around the world, without refuelling, becoming the first solo pilot in history to do so.

But the plane leaked more than 3,000lbs (1,400kg) of fuel during the climb to altitude. After landing, Fossett wondered how much farther the plane could have flown if it had not had the leak.

"We calculate that I will be able to complete the flight and have a success but it will be very close," Fossett said.

"I'll be worried until we can really see the calculations and see the winds and see that I am going to make it to England."

After taking off from the Kennedy Space Center's 15,000-ft-long (4,600m) shuttle runway, Fossett plans to fly over the Atlantic, across Africa, Saudi Arabia, India, China, Japan, the Pacific Ocean, Mexico, the United States and back over the Atlantic before landing at Kent International Airport on Friday.

o.gif

The biggest risk of the flight will be at takeoff. All but 3,500lbs (1,600kg) of GlobalFlyer's 22,066lbs (10,001kg) takeoff weight is fuel. Fossett will need the entire span of the shuttle's runway to build up enough speed to lift off.

Then, Fossett must weather any wind gusts until he reaches his cruising altitude of 45,000ft (14,000m).

At that altitude, Fossett will be able to take advantage of the strong naturally occurring jetstream, which flows west-to-east over the Northern Hemisphere. Once safely aloft, Fossett's biggest worries will be an engine problem or running out of fuel. Fossett also faces sleep deprivation. An alarm system aboard the plane will allow Fossett to take cat naps of up to five minutes in duration.

There will be no refuge in fine dining, either. Fossett plans a diet of liquid milkshakes. He began the regime three days ago, in the hope of eliminating the need to defecate, but he will have bags aboard if he needs them and there is a bottle in which to urinate.

None of that matters much to Fossett. "I do it as a matter of personal satisfaction," he said, "to achieve something that is difficult and that stretches my ability to do it.

"Also, enjoy it," he added. "I've never lost interest in the feeling of getting to the top of a mountain or achieving a world record. For that reason I will continue to pursue world records for an indefinite amount of time."

_41216424_globalflyer_route6_map416.gif

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Stop Press-GlobalFlyer delayed by bad weather at Kennedy Space centre.

B

Bunkerbarge

Barry,

It is interesting as well that he is the first person ever to be allowed to use Nasa's runway at Cape Canaveral. I saw Richard Branson on the TV this morning, live at some ungodly hour in the morning at the runway, and he stated just how cold it was.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Exactly,this one is going to push the boundaries to the limits of endurance for Steve,I rather think that NASA have more than a passing interest in this one,hence the assistance,imagine grabbing five minutes on and off,with a sleep pattern like that it could be of use for astronauts,you can bet your life that he will be checked over by their doctors and the knowledge used to assist them,and dont forget he is no spring chicken either.

Watch this with great interest,this is a real challenge of endurance make no mistake.

Barry,It is interesting as well that he is the first person ever to be allowed to use Nasa's runway at Cape Canaveral. I saw Richard Branson on the TV this morning, live at some ungodly hour in the morning at the runway, and he stated just how cold it was.

B

Bunkerbarge

I watched him get out of the aircraft this morning and cannot believe that anyone could contemplate being in such a confined environment for such a length of time.

S

squiffythewombat

You say hes landing at kent international airport on friday?

Is that lydd or manston? Im assuming its manston as they have a VERY large runway there, they used to have concord there.

IF it is manston and IF it is this friday then i can get up there and take some photos!!!

S

squiffythewombat

ok, its late and im tired, i just saw the manston on the picture, is this ment to be this friday?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Not quite sure about this Squiffy,the flight has been delayed due to high winds,they are not going to take any chances with all of that fuel on board ? I will try and get an update,this would make a great model subject,it took a Russian kit manufacturer to produce Rutans last design,I have one built up in my cabinet.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Latest News-He has called off the flight due to a bad fuel leak,fuel all over the rented NASA runway,hopes to get it fixed by Wednesday for another attempt,apparently this is not the first time that they have had leaky tanks on Global Flyer,just think of the weight of all that fuel in those thin wings,hope they manage to fix the problem ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Steve Fossett currently over India at this time (13.18 UK time) he has burnt extra fuel during a climb,but mission control dont foresee any problems with this.Anyone wanting to track the world record attempt then visit: http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/MissionControl/Tracking/

Here you will find a live tracker map and everything else you could need to know about the flight.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Aviation News-Record confirmed,Steve Fosset sets longest world record flight.

Mission Status: Unexpected landing at Bournemouth - Record broken!

Steve reported a mayday over Hampshire because he had lost electrical power. He was urgently diverted to Bournemouth, where he added to the drama by bursting two tyres on landing; but he did land safely and broke the world record for the longest flight ever.

An interview with mission control earlier said that Steve would still be going to Manston,presumeably on board his Citation,after medical tests at Bournemouth

S

squiffythewombat

yeah, did you see the landing footage? looked pretty rough stuff!