Aviation News-Helicopter Rescue service could change ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The future of the UK's search and rescue helicopter services is being reviewed by the government.

An announcement is expected soon on changes to the roles of the Coastguard, Royal Navy and RAF crews beyond the year 2012.

One option being considered is merging the operations.

The Coastguard and Ministry of Defence rescue helicopter fleets include those based at RAF Lossiemouth, Prestwick, Stornoway and Sumburgh.

A MoD spokeswoman said: Some of the crucial issues that we are looking at include what helicopters we actually need,how we can work or perhaps train better with partners such as the Coastguard and air ambulance, which also provide a search and rescue service.

We seek to ensure best value for our taxpayers - that is always high up on the list - but it is not at the cost of quality and safety and effectiveness.

The RAF and Royal Navy operate a fleet of Sea King helicopters which will be due for replacement in the future.

The Coastguard agency has just agreed a five-year leasing contract with CHC Scotia which will run to 2012 providing a fleet of new helicopters to replace its existing helicopters provided by Bristows.

D

duncan

..and I presume the English helicopter bases will have the same review. Or is it the poll tax all over again.

R

rjwood_uk

i have to admit, although the sea king cant be knocked.....it is due a replacement!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
They are doing the same as they have with the Queens Flight helicopter fleet,companies will need to place tenders for operating on their behalf,in the end it is all down to costs,see todays Daily Telegraph for details of how much it costs to run the Royal Flight,and also how politicians are mis-using the system such as going on holiday,and short trips to Brussels for Euro MP's.

B

Bunkerbarge

Whereas I can see the sense in consolidating services and making most effective use of our resources I'm afraid we always seem to use such initiatives to compromise the overall cover.

It will be interesting to see what the eventual suggestions are and how the new services will be coordinated across the country. By country I mean England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

U

Uncivil Serpent

The MCA has just finalised the purchase of the flying areas of the old NAS at Daedalus here at Lee on Solent. Cost reported to be about 5 million. They will be sharing runways with Hampshire Police plane + Naval & Civel Service Gliding Association.