BAOR vehicle markings

First Name
Bill
I am currently building an Italeri Land Rover and want to depict it as one I drove in Germany.

I am sure mine was stencilled on the side with the call sign 21B in black but I can't find any reference material to back this up. Perhaps this was not universally used and just a regimental decision.

Can anyone advise on this and also does anyone produce decals in 1/35th that would suit?

Cheers

Bill

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I am currently building an Italeri Land Rover and want to depict it as one I drove in Germany.

I am sure mine was stencilled on the side with the call sign 21B in black but I can't find any reference material to back this up. Perhaps this was not universally used and just a regimental decision.

Can anyone advise on this and also does anyone produce decals in 1/35th that would suit?

Cheers

Bill
Seen that frequently mate - they tended to be used by rear area troops in my experience - I'm off out now but I'm sure I have some BAOR markings in my box (from a Warrior) so I'll check later and post them on if I find some!
Steve

First Name
Bill
Thank you Jakko, I'll give that a go. Thanks Steve for confirming my memory wasn't playing tricks.

Bill

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Bill,
Going through my references -
BAOR in Reforger 1975 - 91
BAOR the Early Years 1945 - 79
BAOR the Final Years 1980 - 94
All by Tankograd Publishing
Landrovers - Reforger has a sticky backed panel with a callsign number on the doors. BAOR - There is one pic of an anti-tank company LR with the callsign roughly painted on the rear near side in white paint (probably whitewash) And of the other pics in the 'Final Years, the outline is a Yellow triangle inverted with the callsign number in the same colour and this whole was a stencil with the break being verticle.
Hope this helps
Mike.

First Name
Bill
Hi Mike, I was in BAOR from 1972-76 and I am sure the call sign was stencilled in black on the doors of my Land Rover and on the side of my 432 but I can't find a single image to back this up. The Cold War years are pretty poorly covered by manufacturers and reference material.

I think I'll rely on memory and use Jakkos' method.

Bill

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike, I was in BAOR from 1972-76 and I am sure the call sign was stencilled in black on the doors of my Land Rover and on the side of my 432 but I can't find a single image to back this up. The Cold War years are pretty poorly covered by manufacturers and reference material.

I think I'll rely on memory and use Jakkos' method.

Bill
Bill, well who is going to argue with you, I was in Munster when not on 'holiday' in NI, and even I cannot remember the LR's but my 432 was a white call sign on a black panel. on the silencer box, front centre engine hatch, right side NBC box and left stowage box on the rear... But then we had WOMBAT carried both inside and on top through the mortar hatch.
Cheers
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think in photos I’ve seen both (black numbers straight onto the vehicle, and white numbers on a black rectangle), so you’re probably both right :smiling3: I’m guessing it depended on time, place, unit, and perhaps more factors?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bill, well who is going to argue with you, I was in Munster when not on 'holiday' in NI, and even I cannot remember the LR's but my 432 was a white call sign on a black panel. on the silencer box, front centre engine hatch, right side NBC box and left stowage box on the rear... But then we had WOMBAT carried both inside and on top through the mortar hatch.
Cheers
Mike.
Wombat, Mobat, Combat; fings wot go bang - I luv 'em all!
Steve

First Name
Bill
I think in photos I’ve seen both (black numbers straight onto the vehicle, and white numbers on a black rectangle), so you’re probably both right :smiling3: I’m guessing it depended on time, place, unit, and perhaps more factors?
I think you are probably right Jakko. A preference by unit commanders rather than a laid down regulation.
( Unless someone knows different !!!)

Bill

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

Cheers

Bill
I have a couple of 1/35 markings - if they'll help text your address via the private system and I'll pop them in the post (Gratis!)
Steve