Best gloss black finish?

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Best gloss black finish? (For a model K.I.T.T, aka Pontiac Firebird Trans Am)

HI all,
What's your best advice for a really glossy black, preferably using acrylic paint please? Obviously gloss black paint, but I've seen good results of red over gold to give shine. Can I do black over silver to achieve more gloss? Any other tips and tricks welcome. This will be used in my build for the TV and movie GB.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I use gloss black as a base coat for my Alclad, unfortunately , it’s enamel.
However, I think the same applies and that is, the secret is all in the preparation. That primer needs to be as smooth as glass, which might mean, sanding the plastic first, if it’s a bit rough.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I cant comment on enamels but i have recently start using mr hobby aqueous, ive only sprayed red in glass so far but was quite impressed with the finish. Think they do some quite nice clear laquers too.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally I would use a good primer. Let it dry for a couple of days, then polish it with a very fine sanding sheet. Give it a coat of gloss black. Again let it dry for a couple of days to get really dry, then polish it with polishing compound. Repeat this a second time. Then finish with a clear gloss coat from Zero paints, again polished after drying, but this time with fine polishing compound. It’s long winded, and will take a couple of weeks over all, but you will get a proper wet look gloss that way. You will never match this with a coat of paint alone. Surface preparation is everything for gloss finishes.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I can't see going over silver helping, or the red over gold to be honest. There must have been something else going on there, like the gold smoothing out the surface ready for the black, because as Colin & Tim have said a smooth substrate is essential for a great finish. Top notch paintwork starts from the base up and requires patience (I'm talking about full size vehicles here too lol)

I can't help with paint choice as I use lacquers mostly because the Mr color range is very very good and I'd use their GX2 myself. I can imagine their aqueous range, mentioned by Mark, being a good option though if their other products are anything to go by.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Totally agree with Andy, we both have painted numerous full size vehicles.
Surface preparation is vital and time consuming but just remember any defect in the lower coats will be magnified with a gloss finish, especially black.
I use a "tack cloth" prior to painting which removes debris and dust without leaving a sticky residue on the model, available from numerous places very reasonably.
Good luck