best paint for brushing

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
i was wondering whats the best paint brand for brushing i currently use humbrol whitch gives a good result i dont use revell as its no good,i do srpay but only the ready to use cans any help would be welcome

peter

M

m1ks

Do you use Enamel or Acrylic?

I find for brushing, Humbrol Enamel is unbeatable, but very slow drying.

For acrylic the best brushable I've used is Citadel though i'm told they aren't the same as they once were? I use only a few and for small pieces so my citadel paints are the old style pots.

Whichever you use, I recommend thinning slightly for better flow.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
i use enamel and mainly humbrol but if its the best i will stick with it

cheers peter

T

tommy1drop

Hi Peter

I`ve always used Humbrol when brush painting, although I have started using Vallejo paints, I find these to be as good if not better than Humbrol.

I suppose it all depends on what you are used to and feel happy with, I to am like yourself when it comes to using Revells paints, I try to steer well clear of them.

Tom

P

phalinmegob

never had a problem with revell acrylics and its pretty much my paint of choice but i do find tamiya is better for airbrushing.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Unless you are having problems with the smell, I'd say stay on the Humbrol:

You are used to them

You have them.

They give a good result.

If you have to change, I to would suggest Vallejo model color. Once you have gotten used to how much to thin them give also very good results.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I brush paint....full stop, and I use Humbrol Enamel tinlets thinned with turps substitute...This works for me.

For larger areas I use Vallejo Model Colour acrylics, thinned with tap water. For scale buildings I use ordinary children's water colours.....

I don't buy you need 'special thinners' for the first two above paints. The mentioned thinners give me the results I require.....However you will get loads of different answers to your question, so it's really down to each his own.....

Ron

C

CDW

Another brush painter here.

I use citadel colours primarily, mix them with artists acrylics to achieve the colour i need.

I'll use revel flat black to dull down colours and make up dark washes.

I have a selection of artists oils that will be thinned with white spirit and used as washes etc, also artists oils are ideal for larger scale figure faces as they stay "soft" a little longer than acrylics giving you more time to blend them.

I have used rattle cans to give a base colour on some large sci-fi stuff ... as the spaceships i built were mainly grey ... halfords primer gave a good base coat to work with.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'm predominantly a brusher too, and Humbrol paints have served me well so far. I have recently bought some Xtracolour paints which I could not find a Humbrol match for, so I will see how they go. I have used Tamiya in the past but they weren't anything to rave about in enamel form in my opinion.

P

Plastickitbasher

Mainly a brush painter I use Vallejo model, model air,Panzer aces and I have very results from them. Xracryllics are also good. If what you use works for you then maybe stay with what you know rather than chopping and changing just a thought.