Bf 109G-6 W.Nr. 15909 Barkhorn

R

Reelo

Hello. First post on these boards for me. I'm currently working on a Gustav in 1:32 by Revell, building it up as G. Barkhorn's Erla-built G-6.

I have Eduard's brassin landing gear prepared for it as well.

Since I have no AB, I decided to try and use rattlecans. As you might know, Erla-built planes had a zig-zag camo and I'd like to show you how I tried to achieve that.

I used the butt of a brush to impress indents into the sticky stuff normally used to create blurry lines with an AB. Don't know if that's a common technique, I just made that up on the fly.

The cans I'm using are Tamiya AS-3, 4 and 5.

Here's the plane prior to mottling (which I might not do with the cans as I'm afraid I might not be able to mask it off right)

Hope you like it so far...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

First Name
Dave
Looks good.The reviews Ive read say this is a really good kit.

R

Reelo

\ said:
Looks good.The reviews Ive read say this is a really good kit.
Yes the kit is great but why they cut up the cowling into pieces outside of the real panel lines I cannot understand. It takes lots of filling/sanding and tediously restoring detail lost in that process. I hope Eduard's take on the Gustav will be better designed in that respect.

Though I'm already flirting with Zvezda's 109F ...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Neat trick with the masking I will have to remember that.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice, the sponge worked well.

Z

Ziper_it

Great job with that sponge, excellent brush painting.

Francesco

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That sponge effect has worked nicely. Wonderful work so far.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's some good skills to produce a finish like that without an airbrush. Top stuff, the landing gear looks particularly nice.

Cheers

P

R

Reelo

\ said:
That's some good skills to produce a finish like that without an airbrush. Top stuff, the landing gear looks particularly nice.Cheers

P
Thanks. It's my third kit since I took up modelling again after over a decade. Back in my early teens most of my models were an ugly mess. But now I learn with each new plane: new techniques, new tools (scribing tool, what a joy after filling and sanding joints!), aftermarket kits and decals, not to speak of hours of research on particular planes. Fortunately I limit myself to 109s so far, though I have an old Revell P-38 in 1:32 that I'm working on in parallel. Sanding off those ugly raised panel-lines and rescribing them. Might need a riveting wheel as well soon... and an AB, for sure!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Look forward to see this 109' finished, if you are looking at getting an AB I recommend the Iwata neo CN gravity fed Airbrush. I have it myself and it is amazing for it's price as it is really cheap. Works like those higher end AB's

John

R

Reelo

Thanks for the encouraging comments so far! Now I need to decide between a Tamiya 109E-4/7 trop , a Zvezda 109F-4 or the new Eduard Gustav... Will wait for the dirst reviews and build reports on the latter.