Big mistake NEED HELP

B

Broony8023

Ive painted the hull of my ship in paint without any thiners and the finish isnt tht great. ive now been told how to youse thiners to get a great finish. how can i make the rest of my model look as good???? Please help and replies would be much appricited

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
You could try some paint remover and start again, it doesn't remove any detail, I've used it on a few occasions :smiling3:

U

upnick

Big mistake Help NEED HELP

Hi

I have used (dont laugh) Fairy power spray usuallly of course for those stubborn pans, for best results i cover the model with the spray & then seal it in a poly bag overnight use an old toothbrush gently all over the paint then rinse under cold water it may need more than one application.

Last edited:
S

steve6690

depending how sturdy the build is, you could rub it down with some wet n dry, till its smoothed out and then just paint over, i wouldnt worry about sanding all the paint off as it will act as a base coat and give you better coverage . hope this helps, and this is just my novice opinion.

P

phalinmegob

i have used car brake fluid to sucessfully remove all paint from a botched airplane build but was using revell aqua acrylics ,dont know if it work with enamels or not.

B

Bunkerbarge

I've heard of the brake fluid method but you must be very careful if you decide to have a go at this. The brake fluid is very toxic and dangerous. Do it outside, wear gloves and goggles etc. Be careful with enamel thinners, I once soaked a part of a motorcycle overnight to remove paint and the whole piece went soft.

Nail varnish remover can work well but some of them dissolve plastics. It's a case of experimenting and finding a solvent that doesn't damage the plastic which won't damage you. You could also decide to put up with it, put it down to experience and make the next one that bit better! You also run the risk of making a bigger mess than you already have so be sure of what you decide to do.