Bit basic but

T

tag

Sorry for this question as its a bit basic I did try and search but got word blind after about 10 pages but what is a "Group Build"

I appreciate its a specific theme or subject but then what is it a;

A competition for who builds the best on Scale Models

Do you then enter the winners in a comp with other clubs

Or do you/we as in scale Models have a stand and display all at a model show later

If that's the case when and where

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's not a competition at all. It's just a way of getting whoever wants to join in building on a common theme. It's more for mutual support and sometimes much needed help and encouragement than anything else. Most importantly it's a bit of fun.

Sometimes the theme is fairly loose as per "Normandy" and sometimes a little tighter like,for example, a particular aircraft type.

If you want to join in just start a thread in the relevant GB,it's as easy as that.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

A group build is where a group of people, i.e. members of this forum, build a model based around a chosen subject. Some forums do run them as competitions in that a winner is selected by an individual or group of individuals who cannot compete in the GB but can join in for the fun of it. It is rare that elements of a GB would be shown outside the forum it started on or club unless they choose to show the best entries as part of promoting their forum or club at a show.

On Scale Models Forum, the group builds are for fun, not competition. Their main objective is to get, over the year, people building things they would not normally do. Because it is none competitive, it also means that people experienced in a subject can help those less experienced and vice versa when the subject changes.

It also encourages people to thing outside the box when it comes to doing their GB kit. It is NOT competitive but human nature will always kick and people will try their best to put a superb build into the GB. You only have to look back at the few done so far to see the incredibly high standard not only of builds but of creative interpretation.

As members, we are not interested in who is best on the forum, only that no matter what level people are at that they have a fair opportunity to try their best and that other members are there to help and suggest how they achieve this.

F

Fenlander

Are you back home Steve? I see you are typing over me again :laughing:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yep,I'm back. I've been secretly practising speed typing over the Xmas period!

Seriously it's good to see that we both emphasised the non competitive and fun nature of the scale-models GBs. Just imagine what a bollox I'll be making of a sniper for heaven's sake.

Cheers

Steve