Boats

B

Bunkerbarge

I guess I take a lot of model boat pictures so thought I might pick out one or two for here. The key to the action shot is panning with a smooth steady action. Unfortunately the best resuts with a shot like this are achieved with a long lens to shorten the depth of field and a lens with image stabilisation.

View attachment 70949

23-12-07-85WiltonParkBluebird1.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

You also cannot beat being in the right place at the right time. These could be taken with any camera with a good lens, all you need is a frosty morning with a nice fog swirling around the pond. That is ice in the water around the models.

View attachment 70950

View attachment 70951

23-12-07-23WiltonParkFogEnigmaHarryO7.jpg

23-12-07-69WiltonParkFogEnigma11.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

A great tip with many model shots is to get down to the same eye level that you would expect if you were viewing the real thing. With boats this means laying on the path of the pond side, trying to avoid the goose poo, and get down to the water line. This helps tremendously with realism.

View attachment 70952

View attachment 70953

09-08-09-35WiltonParkHelicopterRepairBarge3.jpg

09-08-09-42WiltonParkHelicopterRepairBarge7.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

For detail I think we regularly underestimate the value of natural light. Light boxes, reflectors and additional lamps are all usefull tools inside but quite often the best light is to be had by simply taking the model outside and let the camera do its job. Obviously weather and location plays a part but I even wait for the weather to get a model shot in natural light rather than play around inside.

View attachment 70955

View attachment 70954

01-03-09-10WiltonParkStan'sCrabBoat2.jpg

01-03-09-13WiltonParkStan'sCrabBoat5.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

The only one of these models that is mine is the large tug in the mist.

B

Bunkerbarge

This one is mine, again natural light, even lugging 32 lbs of model out into the garden and sticking it on my workmate, and a low angle to give a more realistic view.

View attachment 70956

04-11-11-13BenAinConstruction645.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely shots, have seen the military one a few times, at shows. The detail shots of the guy working on the boat is Stan's IIRC. Lovely boat you have Richard.

Si:smiling3: