1.32 scale grass

P

Pete Mac

Knowledge please folks. For my 32 scale spit and Me109. both enclosed in seperate plexiglass cases on 14" square MDF bases, I would like to cover the bases in scale grass. most of the examples I have seen so far are either too green or resemble billiard tables. Can anyone throw some pointers as to what looks the part based on personal experience. Thanks lads. PS if it's not too early-- Merry Christmas to all in spite of this b....y awful weather. Pete.

M

mobear

heres a site the others won`t mind as its Romans site with a how to Grass

mobear

C

CDW

32nd scale ..... i'd use the herb "dill"

it'll fade with time and look more "used"

M

MrTin

I always use medical lint. You can get it in rolls. Just trim it to the shape of the grassy area you need, glue it down with Evo-Stik then colour it up with a stiffish brush and acrylics or gouache paint (preferred). When it's dry, "comb" it with an old toothbrush or with care, a brass wired suede brush (shoeshop) and recolour and touch up with more paints and more combing, squashing and teasing. An old shaver will also give it a trim. DO NOT stick it fluff side down and then rip it up!!! You aren't waxing your chest. Railway people do it and it's a complete waste of good lint.

There is also electro static but that is expensive, unless you make your own applicator from an electronic fly swat (youtubes). Never buy ready made grass, it really is crap!

Cheers,

Martin

M

MrTin

For longer grass the link above works well and looks great to me.

Martin

First Name
Ty
I'm a big fan of the grass mats offered by Silfor. They a few varieties like cattle pasture which are all grass. 2mm base grass with 6mm tufts added. Spring, Summer, late Summer, and Fall colours.12"X19"

They also haveDry Turf Mats called Savannah grass. "This 12" x 19" mat is highly textured. The soil appears dry and sandy sprouting throughout its surface random sizes of 4mm tufts of Buffalo Grass " 12"X19"

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive used the ready made stuff, you know the coloured flock type of stuff, and it can be made to look fine. Dont just sprinkle it onto a flat board or it'll look pants, give the base some unevenness and texture first with polyfilla or tile adhesive , obviously if its an airfield dont go too mad, then paint it in glue and sprinkle the stuff on. When the glue is dry put a few more blobs of glue and sprinkle some more on to give the effect of small tussocks of grass or weeds. When it looks about right, paint it with the airbrush in various shades of dull green and browns applied randomly. All the methods above are great too , but if youve already got some coloured flock youve nothing to lose having a bash , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Like Tyrel,I've used grass mats.

They do vary considerably. Some,like those he was good enough to show us,are very good. Others are just awful! A railway modeller put me on to the Gaugemaster mats which I find convincing. One of them (spring or autumn I think) also matches by back scenes quite well.

I once bought one from Woodland Scenics that I threw away.....it was crap.

It works for 1/48

And even on my desk top at 1/32!

Steve