British ww2 uniform colours

A

Antony

I know this may seem a basic question but just what was the colour of Brittish uniforms in europe? Ive always thought that they were Khaki, but now Ive come to paint a couple of figures from Tamiya they suggest earth brown. I checked on a couple of websites and get the same there. Ive also noticed that Airfix also use the same colour for the basic uniform. So just what should I be painting the uniforms for British infantry and tank crews in europe? Any recomendatiosn for webbing?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Earth brown is about right. I use mainly Vallejo and they do a colour in their Model color series called English uniform and this is very similar to earth brown, maybe a touch darker.

Webbing? lets see, khaki green works well as does their Middlestone. I think as long as the colours are close enough you will be fine. All forms of fabric are subject to the effects of weather, grime and wear. So if you want to get the best effect there should be a bit of variation in things. A whole heap of soldiers in totally perfect matching uniforms will look wrong. Unless of course they are all new soldiers in new kit. So I would start with the "new" colour and lighten it down as you paint more figures. Also changing tones between tops and trousers. Ammo pouches are going to turn up in just about every shade of khaki green, olive green right through to light washes out green.

Hope that helps.

Ian M