brush painting exhaust staining

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Can anyone help.

Is there a tutorial about brush painting exhaust staining, I have just started a P38 and there are exhausts all over.

I have tried dry brushing with various results, but if anyone can point me to a better way I would be grateful.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I have just started a P38 and there are exhausts all over. Tony.
The exhaust gases only emerge behind the turbo-supercharger so any staining would be along the top of the booms.

I'll allow a brush painter to give some tips on applying stains that way.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Personally Tony i apply all my gun and exhaust staining by pastels and a cotton bud/old paint brush. That way you can build up the effect slowly and easily. I then seal it all in with varnish. I'm not confident enough to use an airbrush and i find that my results so far have been ok. Here is a B-17F i did with said pastels. As you can see i only did it lightly and it makes it subtle but enough so you know where it is

View attachment 35050

View attachment 39524

200320101241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Forgot to add that i always varnish my model first before i add the staining as well. That way if i'm not happy with it, i can then remove it easily. If you do it straight onto paint then it will be almost impossible to remove without a repaint job.

C

CDW

I'm not that confident with an airbrush either.

I used progressively darker washes (black and brown) working from the outskirts of where the staining would be through to the centre using a darker wash.

My attempt .......about 80% happy with it myself ... i've seen much, much better on here.

View attachment 35058

View attachment 39532

IMAG0136.jpg

A

AJay

Tony, I've tried painting them on in the past using acrylics. It's a hit and miss job and I missed most times.

I then began using pastels as like those above, I dare not try with an airbrush just yet. The pastels work a treat.

Just brush the pastel powder on with a small brush and blow away any residue. Then build up layers until happy. I live life on the edge (yeah, right....lol) so work on the matt paintwork but shouldn't really, as like mentioned, one mistake and it's a refurbishment job. Doe!

P.S. the chalky artist pastels, NOT wax types.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have to chip in here! Airbrushing this type of staining is really not difficult. I tend to use a mixture of red and black paint. The trick is to have it well thinned,more than for normal painting. Build the stain up very gradually,at first you will hardly see anything. This way you can go for a light stain as on my Hurricane here. It follows a quite distinctive arched pattern.

You can also go for a much heavier (and blacker,being German) stain,as on this Bf109.

Anyone can do it with a bit of practice. That's what plastic milk 'bottles' are for!

Cheers

Steve

O

omi1966

mind if i jump in guys , heres one i finished recently.

this is done with the pastel method, just some black dust where you want the stain to start and using a cotton bud drag it back to where you want it to finish. just keep pulling it back in the same direction and dont scrub it, this thins the chalk out at the end of the stain.

you can add some brown after the black to the edges for the more burnt staining.

when i use the AB i use tamyia smoke with some red brown just small amounts and very thin and build it up, i think both ways have there merits but the pastel chalks are more contollable.

just 2p worth.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am with Stona on this one, I use Vallejo washes as they are pretty transparent. Can thin them well out and just work it up in layers.

Powdered chalks is also a very good way as Allyne has shown. If you want to go for the cleaned of type of stain, use chalks on matt paint then remove. You will see the stain. Those Germans did (not) like to keep things clean. Well the Generals did.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks for all the help and tips.

This is a great tutorial.

Gonna have to get me some more stuff.

Payback for all those hours spent clothes and shoe shopping with the good lady- HeHe

Tony.