BTR- 80A zvezda 1/35(jumbo scale)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Dave, apologise for the late appearance. Am at a local Muslim/Indian eatery having a heavy tea break just round the corner of where I live and had a good read of your post while sipping my "pulled" tea. To me a good build of a kit where ever its manufactured, bad or good, expensive or cheap, simple or difficult boils down to who builds it. I like that you're enjoying the process and it's bringing back your mojo. Attacking it in sections is what I would do too. Your airbrushing skills at 1/72 have helped with the finer detail paintwork on this larger scale and shows in the cut offs. Bring on the pics...they're not boring. At least you're painting...my build is still naked plastic for the past 3 weeks. Won't be surprised seeing the dangly thingies coming your way.

Cheers,
Wabble

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Dave,

Gotta agree with what Wabble said 100%!!! Most excellent work Sir and glad you are enjoying it. I really like your tire weathering. I was surprised that this was a 'bit' larger than your normal builds. It must be even nicer to be able to cleanup and work on the parts too!!! Keep it coming Buddy...

Prost
Allen

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
First up a big thanks to all who have looked in ,thank you again for all your help and encouragement ,so some thoughts on this as I said nothing worth sleeping through on TV so pulled it from the stash a flea Bay cheepie about twelve quid if I recall so not much to lose if it never got off the ground(I suppose down the road would have been better wheels not wings). Regrets ,looking back as I started to enjoy it I wished I'd taken more care building it instead of just slapping /throwing it together ,on the other hand have really enjoyed the airbrush work and detail/ weathering part weathering not probably not the best description as ive out grown the coverd in mud rusted out look i suppose i aim for something aged/ organic looking but anyway with your help along the way ive really enjoyed it ,truth be known i could probably spend a bit longer on it but hey it began to grind a bit so I'm calling a day on this one.
Apart from some mig pigments and the odd colour or two this is all ive ùsed20230903_163537.jpg
The russian greens weren't used as meant i just picked the two I liked the most ,plus being lazy there's four allsorted russian greens in one box ,I find the ammo stuff with the yellow tops very easy to use never had a problem with them I've got a few bottles of the 3G stuff but can't make up my mind ,air brush used was this sparmax one with a .3 needle these are great little tools fantastic value for the money its used more than my so called top of the range one ,the panel liner never lined panels I use it it in my own tin pot way to get the kind of worn/weathered /organic look I try for. From a personal perspective I enjoy monotone paint jobs the thing is to make them look what they are not just a blob of colour. Listen to me still full of enthusiasm not sure where next no tyres is a definite 35th or my beloved 72nd stay green or go grey ill think on it for a couple of days any way here she is
20230903_163030.jpg
I'll put the rest of the pic's in the finished armour bit ,hope you've all enjoyed this little trip there will be another many thanks Dave.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Dave, apologise for the late appearance. Am at a local Muslim/Indian eatery having a heavy tea break just round the corner of where I live and had a good read of your post while sipping my "pulled" tea. To me a good build of a kit where ever its manufactured, bad or good, expensive or cheap, simple or difficult boils down to who builds it. I like that you're enjoying the process and it's bringing back your mojo. Attacking it in sections is what I would do too. Your airbrushing skills at 1/72 have helped with the finer detail paintwork on this larger scale and shows in the cut offs. Bring on the pics...they're not boring. At least you're painting...my build is still naked plastic for the past 3 weeks. Won't be surprised seeing the dangly thingies coming your way.

Cheers,
Wabble
Totally agree with you Wabble.Its not the kit but what a builder makes from it.But the main thing is the enjoyment had from making it.
Happy modelling from Makka pakka

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Cheers,
Wabble
Hi Dave,

Gotta agree with what Wabble said 100%!!! Most excellent work Sir and glad you are enjoying it. I really like your tire weathering. I was surprised that this was a 'bit' larger than your normal builds. It must be even nicer to be able to cleanup and work on the parts too!!! Keep it coming Buddy...

Prost
Allen
Totally agree with you Wabble.Its not the kit but what a builder makes from it.But the main thing is the enjoyment had from making it.
Happy modelling from Makka pakka
Thanks Richard always good to hear your thoughts hope lunch was good ,hoping for some bone surgery early next year so have been told I must stay within my BMI body mass index so I do try and be a bit selective with my eating habits not easy we've lots of eat as much as you want Asian/ Chinese/ Indian places well you have to get your value for money.....still nice little kit good fun all round I think that was what was missing enjoyed the big scale will stick with it for the next one .
Thanks Allen its certainly been diffrent have enjoyed up scaling my usual way of painting/finishing without squinting all the time to see what I'm doing ,have been searching the stash for the next project it'll be 35th (your see my thinking when I reveal said model)but there's some great little 72nd subjects all calling in a squeaky voice me me me ive told them patience children daddy will come back for you.
Cheers Richard ive always said on here there's no such thing as a bad kit just some are better than others ,plus if its something you want to build and thats all there is so be it you only get out what you put in nothings that bad a little tlc can be enjoyable and go a long way. Dave