Calling All Tank Builders........ Advice needed

P

phikoleoputra

Quick question guys, I rarely built a tank let alone with interior details, do you assemble the whole thing then paint or paint it segments by segments?

I see a lot of builts out there that they assemble then paint it, if so how can you paint the interior detail??

Please enlighten me!!!

Thanks

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well for me I would be per-painting all the bits,and if the turret is is half's,paint that,

then add the bits and then glue it,as its far to hard to do,once its together, 9_9

J

John Rixon

Never done an interior, but that would seem to necessetate pre-painting! But as for the outside, I'm deffo in the camp of paint it all assembled ( bar the tracks) then paint all the surface details (tools, cables etc) then weather and finally add the tracks having painted and washed them. Once this is all together, I do pigments and mud, chips etc. One rider being the design, some tracks and wheels need doing separately so you have to adjust accordingly, this is down to practical judgement!

D

dubster72

Leo, much of what you do is dependant on the kit itself. As a rule, I'd assemble most of the fixed parts of the interior & paint them. Stuff that's removable or consumable like ammo can be painted separately.

Large items like radio equipment can also be done separately because they'll be a different colour to the interior anyway.

Try to imagine the building process at the factory & that will guide you. You can also look for other builds of kits with interior detail to see how others have tackled it. There might not be many builds of your kit, but the Academy Tiger early & mid production both come with interiors, so look for them too.

Here's some pics of the turret interior of my Panzer III.

Yours is more detailed than that one, but it gives an idea of how I've done it.

Cheers

Patrick

T

tommy1drop

For what it's worth, I've always found pre-painting the internal parts of the kit works best for myself, some may say the opposite.

I suppose it's down to trial and error, and what ever works best for you. Hope this helps.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Haven't built many tanks and none for a long time, but I would treat it like I would the inside of an aircraft and paint the inside and sub assemblies as I go.before joining the fuselage halves together.

P

phikoleoputra

Alright got it. Thanks all for the advice...

Much appreciated

N

noble

I build the interior into the lower hull and the same for the upper hull, and before both hull sections are glued together I will prime and paint.

scott