Can I polish AquaGloss?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9606
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9606

I sprayed Alclad AquaGloss over Vallejo Model Air that had cured for a week and got a pebbly finish. I sprayed it with a .5 needle at 18psi. Two medium coats like it says on the bottle. Wet but not runny. I tried it a few days ago on a mule and got good results. This time not so much. Do subsequent coats on dried layers help? Is it possible to sand or polish this stuff smooth?

- CF

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not sure about that as I have never had to. Maybe best to do a test piece first.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've sanded it before now ready for subsequent coats but never tried polishing it, if that helps any.

I've also found it can separate on certain surfaces leaving the pebbly finish you mention. A very light initial dust coat or two can give the later, wetter coats something to grip to.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wouldn’t think polishing will take away the pebble finish Colin. It will just make the high spots shine and stand out more. You need to level out the surface before recoating. Andy is probably the authority here.

D

Deleted member 9606

I've sanded it before now ready for subsequent coats but never tried polishing it, if that helps any.

I've also found it can separate on certain surfaces leaving the pebbly finish you mention. A very light initial dust coat or two can give the later, wetter coats something to grip to.
Thanks