Canberra B.2 to T.17 conversion tips

M

Matty

I've just got myself an Airfix Canberra B.2 on special from Modelzone. As I mentioned in an old post, while searching for 100 Sqn decals online I found the Alley Cat T.17 conversion kit and hit upon the idea of having a go at a conversion , but I need a bit of help.

This will be the first time I've tried any 'surgery' on a kit and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this conversion in particular or just any general tips for chopping bits out of models! The conversion involves taking a section of the nose off and replacing it, which I'm hoping should be reasonably straightforward, but there is also a replacement canopy that includes a rectangle of fuselage around it that looks a bit more tricky.

Does anyone know what's the best thing to use for cutting the bits off/out? I was thinking of using a dremel or a razor saw.

Also, as far as colour schemes go, I was fancying going for the hemp/light grey, but does anyone know if the RAF were using this scheme by 1986? This was the year my old man finished flying them on 360 Sqn and I was thinking of giving it to him if it turns out ok, so I don't want to paint it hemp if they were all still in green and grey at that point. I don't want to ask him as it'll spoil the surprise.

Thanks in advance for the help, I'll stick some piccies up in under construction at some point in the next couple of weeks when I manage to get started.