Cheap paint in starter kits - Airfix

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I bought a couple of the Lidl / Aldi small and cheap (£7) Airfix kits just before Xmas and they come with their own small tins of paints, but I've read a few times that the paint is horrible. I think its Hunbro / Humbrol (sp?)
Should I just bin those paints and stick with some decent ones?
I will be brushing/sponging, etc to start off so I will not be air brushing (yet).
Cheers

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
No experience with them but I know one of the guys on here has used them. Evidently it's down to the mixing of the paint.
I have to add, my first attempt at getting back into modelling in March was an Airfix Starter kit with similar plastic paint pots. I never used them. Only because I was gifted a airbrush by a mate so I ordered airbrush specific paints!!

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As a rule, I never use the paints with Airfix starter sets but a couple of years ago I took part in a Starter Set GB where we HAD to use the paints supplied. I built the Airfix 1/775 Cutty Sark using four paint colours:
Cutty_Sark_775_2021_GB_035.JPG

Whilst the paints were okay for a little ship, I wouldn't like to try them on anything larger. I do use them occasionally for touching up though.

Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ron (spanner570) uses them a lot with no apparent problems. Mind you, he doesn't appear to have problems with anything he uses in his builds - except Mrs Ron always nags him when he's used up all the Weetabix in the pantry! :smiling:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Rumour has it that the newer starter kits paint are the new Humbrol acrylic paints which are said to be pretty good. Try them before you bin them. Stirring and thinning are required

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Ron (spanner570) uses them a lot with no apparent problems. Mind you, he doesn't appear to have problems with anything he uses in his builds - except Mrs Ron always nags him when he's used up all the Weetabix in the pantry! :smiling:
Mmm, luv Weekabix here too..... :hungry:

Rumour has it that the newer starter kits paint are the new Humbrol acrylic paints which are said to be pretty good. Try them before you bin them. Stirring and thinning are required
Cheers will give it a go with one of the cheapo starter kits I have, what sort of ratio do I need for the paint/thinners, 70/30 or more or less?
Cheers

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Ron could paint with the weetabix and knock out a decent job :cool:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Give them a go. As Dave said Ron used them with great success. Ron thins them so they go on smoothly but do not cover in a single coat. He puts on two, three or four coats to get the nice smooth, opaque finish he wants.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Cheers will give it a go with one of the cheapo starter kits I have, what sort of ratio do I need for the paint/thinners, 70/30 or more or less?
Cheers
Experimentation is the name of the game. Try, 70/30 and then modify for your needs.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Interesting thread. ;)

Peter, I can't comment on these little pots for spraying, as I only brush paint.
But for the level of workmanship I'm happy with, these 'Starter Kit' paints go on just fine. Even without primer.

As to ratios, I haven't a clue! I just add tap water to the pots, stir and then apply to some test plastic until I get a mix that spreads on smoothly. The first coat is always streaky, but subsequent coats of the same consistency soon cures that nonsense.

Two things to finish with.....

Don't bin them, giz 'em to me!

Lastly, and most important, don't be buying an airbrush, you stick with a brush. Ain't that right boys?! :tongue-out3:

Yours.
Igor A. Aerystikk

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've airbrushed them with some success. The biggest problem with them is those awful plastic pots - I find it best to cut the 'hinge' so the top can be completely removed.
These paints have a bad reputation, but I find it difficult to believe that Humbrol (or whoever) would make a range of bad paints just to go in Airfix starter sets.
Pete

OldWalrus

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I built the Spitfire 1a Starter Kit just before Christmas, it was a 'challenge' build in which you had to use the enclosed glue, paint and brush (no extras allowed except one set of snips).
The paint was OK, all was liquid(ish) and when swirled with water :sad: became acceptable, the sky undersides took four coats to look OK, however the brown and green were easier to work with. The black for details was good.
This contrasted with the paints from similar kits used a year or so back, they were unusable and Airfix replaced them with what I assume was the Gen 2 formula commendably quickly.
I think the chief reason for the variable quality is the seal on the pots, simply held on by friction rather than a screw top with some sort of washer/gasket.