Colour Sergeant William Mc Gregor

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

After a long break from sculpting, due to my stupidity with a saw, I have finally finished this bust of Colour Sergeant William Mc Gregor wearing his uniform from the Crimean War, based on a contemporary photo.

sculpted using a mixture of clays and putties, and painted using Vallejo paints.

First the photo which was the inspiration:

819BACC5-5EFA-4992-9FB5-007FEA95B0D6.jpeg
And my version:

C7030742-390F-4216-BE10-D351F792174C.jpeg8BF97716-E60D-431B-BD3D-D8B919B0BC80.jpegDC7AC41C-8CD9-4749-9F4E-333F027157AA.jpeg7C3BBDE2-0F4A-41A6-A302-196785580028.jpeg

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Peter, the long break hasn't affected your skills. He looks excellent - both sculpting and painting are really good.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fully agree with Jim, nice to see you've not lost any of the knack. You must be relieved.
The Dogs_0.jpg THE DOGS 2 MOD.png

Congratulations Peter.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant!!! Wouldn't even know where to start.

Very well done.

Andrew

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanks guys - it was un and I am pleased I finally finished it.

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job. Like the way you’ve differentiated the beard from the Bearskin as well. It looks a little weird in the original photo.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nicely done Peter. The bearskin helmet seems slightly odd. The actual ones had a forward tilt and a bit more in the back covering the neck. Is the bearskin separate which could be rectified. Apologies for being a nit picker but in B/W he could be mistaken for being in a Sikh regiment. When Sikhs tie their turbans tightly it pulls their eye brow corners up as in your painting where else the picture shows a frown look to the eyes on the colour sergeant. You though captured a fierce looking Sikh head. You can ignore what I have commented. I still think it's nicely painted.

Cheers,
Richard

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Superb results, very well done indeed! Sculpting must be very hard to master I'd say. Very neat finish. G

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

thanks for the nice comments.

Richard - thanks fof the input, no problem about the critique, they are always welcome. I agree the bearskin could be better, I found getting decent references of bearskins from that period really difficulty, they look different in different photos and. Different from modern ones. I cannot envisage trying to sculpt another one!

Petet

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys

thanks for the nice comments.

Richard - thanks fof the input, no problem about the critique, they are always welcome. I agree the bearskin could be better, I found getting decent references of bearskins from that period really difficulty, they look different in different photos and. Different from modern ones. I cannot envisage trying to sculpt another one!

Petet
Hi Peter, it is a pproblem no doubt as even the bearskins on the Guards marching alongside the Queens coffin procession are so varied. Some are full and some basically look like the wearer had a hair cut.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I suppose it depends upon the skin of the poor old bear itself. After all, natural materials do vary.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter, it is a pproblem no doubt as even the bearskins on the Guards marching alongside the Queens coffin procession are so varied. Some are full and some basically look like the wearer had a hair cut.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard - I was just saying the same thing to Tina, far more varied than I expected.

Peter

First Name
Bill
What clay are you sculpting with? I have moved from super sculpey to monster clay

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanks fof the compliments guys.

Bill - I use a mix of putties, the main one is super sculpy, most of the sculpting is done with this, but i also useMagicsculpt which does not need to be baked.

i've not tried monster clay - is it any good?

Peter

First Name
Bill
It's great Peter the medium is as plyable as sculpey but it doesnt go off. I bought a 5lb tub for just over £30 months ago and it is fine. I micro wave it to get it softer but it dries hard. This a a mates dog I sculpted for him20220402_124547.jpg