Colour washes

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Having seen some of the great results of using washes to highlight details, I thought I'd like to give it a try. Unfortunately, I needed a bright colour and all the washes I've seen are dark or dirty. I thought it would be worthwhile trying some powder paint - older folks will remember using powder paints in infant school.

It took a few goes as I used too much water initially, but I'm well pleased with the result I got. A coat of Klear to seal it and I think that'll look pretty good. What d'you guys reckon?

I got a set of six different coloured paints (80 grammes of each - which is plenty) off ebay for less than a tenner so I'm all set to have a play around and see what I can do.

Gern

PS To give you an idea of the size, that's a standard roll of 6mm Tamiya masking tape.

View attachment 56041

Rolls Royce.jpg

First Name
Dave
Looks good.Ive got some Florymodels washes which are very easy to use and give good results.They do a light coloured wash,but i havent used it yet.

F

Fenlander

Where would be without washes these days? Yo can pay a fortune for them or make up your own but washes are an important technique to learn and become confident with. Great tip Dave :smiling3:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice one Dave, this is something I've still got to get to grips with. Always been a bit afraid to try on a build because I read that once a wash is on it can be a b****r to remove if it's gone pear shaped.

Think I'll try it out on one of my older finished models before using it on every build.

Tony.

P

phalinmegob

i too will endorse flory washes ,love them and if you cock up and dont like it, it is water based with clay and can be washed off with water.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Like Andrew says. No need to worry if it does go pear-shaped 'cos it's water based paint. A damp cloth or cotton bud for smaller spaces will soon clean up and you can start again.

Gern

M

MrTin

Such an easy thing to make yourself as are weathering powders, best of which is fag ash! We all know somebody who smokes!

When I was working in car design, the better designers used powdered pastel and cotton buds to do what looked very much like airbrush pictures of their designs. Most impressive. A box of pastels and a bit of 120 grit and off they went with some of the most subtle effects I've seen.

Martin

S

Spyderman_uk

I've used acrylic and powder paints to make washes.

I always do my brickwork like this on buildings. Whole wall is sprayed brick colour, then when suitably dried a wash of cement colour for the mortar is all that is needed.

I also like using artist's oil paints to make washes. Mix the oils to make colour required then thin with white spirit. Great for adding dirt into corners, etc.

The big advantage with oils is that it takes a long time to dry off, so you have plenty of time to remove excess. Even after a day you can still remove the wash with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit.

Subtle effects can be achieved by dabbing washed area with paper towel or scrunched up plastic bags.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looks great bud..washes are easy with oils thats all i use you can make as many different tones as you want and its easy to get off with oil thinners..cheap and they last you years

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Washes are best applied over a gloss surface. I too use the Flory washes that gives great control over the effect you want. I still use oil paint washes on the interior though.

H

Hertsog

artist oils are still best, imho for washes and filters. as thinner i suggest liquid lighter fuel. it dries quick and is easily removable (with tissue or cotton swab), if something goes wrong.