Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi.

Is there someone out there that can tell me if it is possible to use Revell's C 41 and convert it back to an 'ordinary' C.

I want to do a U 711 but Revell have pulled the best seller and can't get one for love or money! I belive that the only real differance was in the coning tower. (Sorry no expert on the matter).

If there is a conversion kit it would be nice, failing that a plan...

Ian M

D

Deleted member 81

Hi Ian, do you have a 1/72 Revell VIIC/41? and how are your scratch building skills? regards Glenn

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yes I do have the VIIC/41, and my scratch building is ok if only limited by experiance. So what needs to be done?

I would like to end up with something that resembles U-711 at the time it was sunk. (well before it was sunk).

D

Deleted member 81

Do you have any photos of U-711? or was she a standard V11-C, because each u-boat was differnt in one way or another, it would help to see what your working with, and are you from the UK? the reason I ask is I have some CMK and alot of after market kit's decks,pressure hull, photo etch all 1/72 for VII-C and V11-C/41. regards Glenn

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Only info specific to U-711 has been on this forum! There are some additions to the armor on the tower and some "panzerkassen" Then there is the question of colour; markings, numbers and graffiti...

My knowledge of U-boats it very limited. (U-boat; a boat that is meant to sink...)

I am, as it says in my icon living in Denmark.

Been looking at the aftermarket bits, and am more confused than before. Should I go for the wood decks from Nautilus, or the brass from White Ensign? Both? The wood ones give the best overall effect but the WE ones are formed as per real vessel; individual plates/hatches thus you can configure it with what ever hatches you choose to have open. (Hmmm Need a pressure hull then).

CMK, is it them that make those interiors?

Been looking at the builds on this and other fora. So I have a lot to learn and a very high standard of work to catch up on.

As to what I have to work with, right now two big boxes. one with a VII C and the other with a C/41...and a creditcard :smiling: