Crackle paint your world

D

Doctor Cranky

For the last 3 years or so I have been on a quest to find a crackle paint medium that would provide me with great results down to scale and my search has ended finally with happy and amazing results which I am happy to share with you all in hopes you try it and then report back.

I have been building a 1938 Ford (Revell) using the hairspray technique and I wanted to do something different for the bed, and so I found this paint at the craft store here in the States called Michaels'.

You thin it with water and apply it like normal paint and then sit back and watch the paint do its magic . . .

The paint product was released by Tim Holtz who has made a name for himself in crafting circles . . .

D

Doctor Cranky

For the last 3 years or so I have been on a quest to find a crackle paint medium that would provide me with great results down to scale and my search has ended finally with happy and amazing results which I am happy to share with you all in hopes you try it and then report back.

I have been building a 1938 Ford (Revell) using the hairspray technique and I wanted to do something different for the bed, and so I found this paint at the craft store here in the States called Michaels'.

You thin it with water and apply it like normal paint and then sit back and watch the paint do its magic . . .

The paint product was released by Tim Holtz who has made a name for himself in crafting circles . . .

D

Doctor Cranky

I had been trying for a couple of years to find a solution to this dilemma but as soon as you guys try this you'll be as pleased as I am . . .

Oh, yeah, let me show you how this build is turning out . . .

I'm in the process of finishing another version of this, so I will be finishing the weathering simultaneously on both . . .

By the way, one of the results of using the hairspray technique on this vehicle, which required several coats of a few different colors is that when the chipping was done in some areas I found out both the chipping and the highlights were done at the same time . . . which is very strange. I am going to try to do it on purpose because I think I just got lucky. But it could be done with a lighter color before the darker and final color is put on . . .

D

Doctor Cranky

Here are a couple of examples of how utterly realistic and in scale this crackle paint system looks . . .

F

Fenlander

What a great effect and what great models. Thanks for the info and showing what it looks like Virgil. Have to start searching for a UK supplier now. Many thanks.

EDIT: Great news, readily available in the UK

S

sprayman

Also try the Vallejo Crackle, I get great effects and results with it...its cracking stuff...(see what I did there...lol)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Lovely models,thanks for showing us those and the paint product. Great stuff.

Steve

S

sprayman

Lol....Graham,

Forgot to add excellent model there, great detail.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What a cracking model that is!! :laughing:

Sorry if this is a highjack but how do you apply the Vallejo crackle Ray? I Have been playing with it too and had very different results. Every thing from huge cracks and patches right through to no effect at all. Any tips.

A thing I have used for furniture and other large things is good old Gummi arabia. Base coat - arabia - top coat. Leave to dry and it cracks up great. Just not good for small scale. Might be OK for 1/16 and up.

A very Nice Ford there Virgil!!

Ian M

S

sprayman

Hi Ian, I found that Vallejo cracks better when used over Vallejo paint, I Paint the area needed, let it dry, then I apply a good thick coat of crackle over it( best results with a sponge tip), and I find Im getting good results, then you can airbrush the crackle area and it looks rather good.However if its placed on to thin then the results can look rather naff, but thick works well.

D

Doctor Cranky

Thanks. Well, to be honest, I did not even know Vallejo--which has an acrylic paint line I love--had crackle paint. I have to check it out.

M

m1ks

Fantastic stuff, I love the weathering on your model cars, I'd really like to see a build of yours from the start or at least from the priming onwards through the paint and weathering, incredibly realistic old rusty stuff and that crackle looks bang on scale.

It's new to me on a Hobby scale, the only crackle paint i've seen otherwise is sold by Frost auto restoration for period crackle dashboard finishes as seen on some 50's and 60's cars.

A

andygh

Yes, I'd love to see a build too, what a stunning finish :terrific:

D

Doctor Cranky

Thank you all. Crackle paint works on all surfaces and all kinds of paints. I have to say I will check out the Vallejo one.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the tip Ray, I will give it a try that way. I now see where I went wrong! Gummi Arabia used in the painters trade works t'other way round; a thin coat for small, fine cracks, and a thick coat for great big flakes.

Odd really, an old writing desk worth a couple of 100 quid, I wont think twice about painting with crackle, but a bit of plastic for say £20 scares the bejesus out of me!!!

I too would love to see a step by step on one of your paint jobs Virgil.

Ian M

D

Doctor Cranky

Thanks, Ian . . . I will work on one this weekend and post it.