Decal printing

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
On the odd occasion I have had kits with unusable decals or want something bespoke
I would like to start printing my own and I advice on what kind of set up is needed ie: printer type any kind of app or even down to the decal paper and obviously I would need a scanner.
Help and advice is most welcome and appreciated

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In a nut shell you will need:
A printer, preferably one of the (hens tooth rare) ones that can print with white as well.
Decal paper, that can be purchased in model shops... Comes in Ink and Laser versions. Clear and solid white. Note it is a full sheet and will require close trimming.
Paper for an Ink jet must not be put through a laser printer.... Some will say do not use a laser printer as the decal paper melts in the printer...
A computer program that can handle graphic and test jobs.
If you just want to replicate the originals a scanner. The graphics program will also be helpful in removing the background from the scan and place it on a transparent ground, as all graphics that are for decals need a clear background.
I use Corel paint as that is what I have but there are loads of other programs that can be used. Adobe make some good ones. there are cheaper ones but don't know what they can and cant do.

Personally, if I need the odd decal here and there, I try find one on here that does them, that has helped a few times. Also if the kit is current I have asked the manufacturer if they are still available to purchase.

Large decal companies normally have a minimum run requirement which can be between 50 to 500 sheets.!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good summary from Ian.

Decent results can be made on an ink jet printer that is able to print to photo standard. These do not print white though, so additional steps will be needed to cut the decal to size. There used to be a brand, Alps, that did but I think they are now defunct. Several Laser jet machines are available to print in white, but the price is up in the 2-3K range so they are prohibitively expensive.

Paper is easily available for around 15 for 20 sheets, from very many sources. It’s not that cheap, so plan ahead and fill each page as much as you can before printing.

A good paper crafting knife with a swivelling blade will come in useful for cutting printed decals out from the white sheet. You will need to cut carefully to eliminate the white surround.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
lateral thought. one of our local ''photocopy shops'' can print onto any type of paper for you. a lot cheaper than doing it yourself as they cover any failures. they have a list of available printing media

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Following on from the advice above...
Program for printing - cheap Photoshop CS6 and the book Photoshop for Dummies, plus tutorials on YT...
Decal paper can come in clear or white... Inkjet preferably and A4 size although Hannants do sheets of White and Clear in A4 and A5 size.
You do not need the dogs doodahs of a printer, I have a Canon MG225os, but use in this case Canon ink and not the refillable cr4p from evilbay...
A protective spray such as Humbrol AD6049 No 49 Varnish Matt, or AD7550 Acrylic Crystal Clear.
Basics...
When you start you need an image to work with. You open Photoshop and select 'File' 'Open' Then select the image you want to work with.
I find it easy to then use the 'Marquee' tool to take a copy of the image and then copy or cut and transfer that to a new page by selecting 'File' 'New' and scroll down to 'International Paper', this should give you automatically A4 size, select 'Edit' and paste...
Now the real fun starts. You can move the image using the arrow tool which is your working tool, also at the side and top you can pull out 'bars' that you can use to size the image you want by going to the border and holding down the left key on the mouse and dragging to the right.
Now you have your size in mm with the 'bars' (these will not show on the print) you need to re-size the image.
Goto 'Edit' 'Transform' (not 'Free Tansform') 'Scale' Now hold down the shift key and you can move the corner to the sixe you require..
Ah! but I hear you say, what about the surrounding area it has all kinds of stuff on it. here you can click on the 'Eraser tool' and you can wipe out the items/area you do not need.
And that is the basics...
Once you are happy with your item you can replicate the exact image by clicking on 'Layer' then 'Duplicate Layer'. You will not see it untill you actually move it using the left/right/up/down keys, this will keep it in line both horizontally and vertically. Once you get used to this part you can use the mouse.
Then for the end of your work you clicl on 'Layer' 'Flatten Image' click on 'Save' and make sure you select JPEG and give your work a title like Stars and Stripes. Then it is a case of printing in photo on your printer.
Once you are happy allow the ink to dry for at least 3 hours, then give the image a couple of light sprays of varnish to seal the print.
Do not worry about wasting the decal paper because on your next image you call up your original .Stars and Stripes... add a new layer and go to work but work below your original image, then when you are happy you can delete your original image from your work and you are left with the new image, then it is a case of flatten image etc...
Here is a sheet of bottle and can labels I printed years ago
20240106_104146_HDR.jpg
20240106_104250_HDR.jpg
Sorry they are not very clear, but they are in register and were for 1/35 scale bottles and coca cola cans. Also on the full image there are magazine covers, keyboard, screen and cover for a lap top.
Hope this helps
Mike.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I think I might give the idea a skip. Although it sounds simple but not for my old brain but thanks for info maybe sometime in the future

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
A alternate App/Prog to Photoshop is GIMP. (Link to website). GIMP is free and is/was almost identical to PS but F-R-E-E!!! Which is always good!!
I used to use it years ago but as I gradually lost interest in it due to not wishing to alter my pics anymore.