Decals fight back

P

Pogo

Have just got round to putting decals on Academy C-97 .Several have broke and i was wondering if anyone had the kit and didnt want the Arctic scheme decals. The one i am having the most problem with is the nose number.I have been modelling for years so i'm used to things going wrong, and i can sort things out but .not this time. Ive tried everything from PVA glue , decal cote , Johnstones klear, , even wall paper paste.

it's just that nose number ...

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Pogo

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Academy kit decals are awful,it took me six months to get a replacement set vis the UK agents,then they had the nerve to ask me to pay for them ! they just crack up when immersed in water,something to do with the backing film,it is about time they got their house in order and issued decent decals with their kits,get in touch with Toyway at Letchworth and show them your disgust at the decal quality of these kits.

Have just got round to putting decals on Academy C-97 .Several have broke and i was wondering if anyone had the kit and didnt want the Arctic scheme decals. The one i am having the most problem with is the nose number.I have been modelling for years so i'm used to things going wrong, and i can sort things out but .not this time. Ive tried everything from PVA glue , decal cote , Johnstones klear, , even wall paper paste. it's just that nose number ...

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Pogo

S

squiffythewombat

or post a photo here, i have LOADS of spare decals but without knowing what they look like - needle in a haystack!

Barrys right tho, academy decals are horrid, much like most of their kits!

N

Nigel.D

Just spray the decal sheet with micro decal and the cut out easy

B

Bluewavestudios

If none of the above suggestions work,

go to www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk and order some decal film from there, scan what ever decals you have on your computer and print off a fresh set on your new paper.

That way you can do as many sets as you like and at least they shouldn't crumble so easily.....always good for back-ups.

I have used their stuff before and would certainly recommend them.

Not expensive either.

Regards......Mark.

P

Pogo

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions. Thankfully i got the blasted thing on, but i agree , the decals are a lot to be desired. Have to say though its not too bad a kit if your willing to work at it . Its been sat made up ready for painting for about 5 years. Will try to getapiccy of it when its done

Regards Colin (Pogo)

P

Pogo

Thanks everyone

Thanks to everyone for all the really good suggestions regarding the Academy decals for the C-97.I managed to get the wretched thing on (in small bits) but will paint over the tiny cracks. I agree that the decals have a lot to be desired but the kit is'nt too bad if you work at it. It's been in the loft built but not painted for 5 years. Anyway i must geta piccy of it once its finished to let you see it.

Once again thanks to you all

Regards Colin (Pogo)