Do you clear coat your model to finish?

First Name
Gyorgy
Hi All,

I’m about to finish my first model. May be a silly question but I could not see a definite guidance on the internet.
Do you apply a Matt coat to seal all painting and weathering in when you finish a model?

Thanks!

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sealing in the paint/weathering is up to you what you want to use as to the finish you want. Most of my builds have a final seal of either satin or matt. If i wanted a brand new look then i would use gloss.

I use a gloss seal before i place down decals so i can minimise the chances of silvering under the decal. After that i use my matt/satin finishes so my weathering has something to 'bite' onto

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I do, usually a satin or matt coat, depending on the subject.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The answer is yes - generally! A coat of matt varnish flattens out all the various surface textures left by different paints/weathering to give an even finish. I also sometimes use a slight paint 'tint' in the final coat to give a dusty effect. - An exception is overall gloss metal finishes on aircraft, varnish can really mess them up, so either experiment to see how it goes, or leave it!
Dave

D

Deleted member 5496

Depends on the subject.

At the moment building airliners very little weathering & they tend in the real to look glossy.

However with a model, for me, glossy looks over the top. So a satin is what I go for.

For miltary aircraft they are in the real very matt as part of the camouflage. Think also if effects (weathering) has been applied a satin or gloss would take away some of that it would not, for me, look right.

Good idea to have a coat of varnish which ever type as it does make it easier to clean the model.

Best matt I have found is Vallejo Acrylic Polyurethene (not acrylic or polyurethene).

Often if I am not sure I have an A4 plasti card & experiment. Colours, varnishes over colours etc. Also effects testing differrent teachniques including the effect of changing the PSI. etc. One side of the card I keep with the experiments.

Laurie

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I use some, either Matt or Satin, normally a slight satin. Depending on the varnish some Matts are too Matt for my liking

First Name
Gyorgy
Thanks everyone!

I ended up applying a flat coat and hopefully I can share the photos of the finished model on the forum tomorrow :smiling3:

Based on some of the suggestions you’ve shared I can see even clear coating can be a complex topic to explore if you have an airbrush.
I’m very tempted to buy one as it seems to be such a versatile tool.

For now I’m using mr hobby top coat sprays which I guess is ok but not as nice as I can see YouTube in terms of coverage of the clear coat.

Thanks!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I generally don’t, except for wargames models — those get a coat of varnish to help them stand up to handling.

Display models, though, I only vanish if I need to for the effect I’m after. For example, if I’ve used gloss paint for some reason, but the model needs to be matt. Otherwise, I don’t really see the use of it, and actually, feel that varnish is one of those things that can too easily go wrong.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I varnish mine simply to harmonise the finish over the decals with the paintwork. I prefer aircraft in semi Matt rather than full Matt, but military vehicles in full Matt. Cars and bikes are finished in gloss. To be honest, I find Tamiya varnish works fine through an airbrush, but certainly wouldn’t brush paint with it.....if you need to brush paint I find artists varnishes are the most reliable.