Does Size Matter

P

Pogo

I have just found my AMT B52-G that has been in states of deconstuction for several years. I had a horrible thought when i saw it . Where do you keep something as big? I remember thinking that when i bought it and when i got round to putting the 4 fuselage sections together i got an idea of the size of it. I don't have a Museum sized house to display it so what made me buy it in the first place. I have dozens of kits in the "I've started so i'll finish" pile more in the "I will start this soon" and a few in the why did i buy this? pile. I have no garage no massive sized shelf space just a big grotty loft . I have most of my made kits in boxes stored up there but i think that defeats the object of enjoying them when they are made.

The bigger the more space but there again the more you can put into them. Hanging them is not an option but if you ask the wife , hanging me is .

A thought

Pogo

S

squiffythewombat

when you say big? is this the 72 or 48 version?

Maybe hang it from the tail on a wall? (or paint it with a really cool floral camo pattern and tell the wife its a new cushion!)

B

Bunkerbarge

It's agreat shame that you can't enjoy seeing your models when you have finished them. Displaying always takes up a lot of space and "her who must be obeyed" usually has first say on what space there is!

I can't think of much in the way of a usefull suggestion so have a think about selling it on and buying only small scale stuff that you can have a small display cabinet somewhere (ask nicely), a shed or sort out the attic. A good clean up and board the floor may be all that is needed to give you some mores space.

S

squiffythewombat

(ask nicely)' date=' a shed or sort out the attic. A good clean up and board the floor may be all that is needed to give you some mores space.[/quote']Yeah totally, thats what i did when i needed office space, went to the shed place and bought a 20ft by 10ft cabin flat packed, a week later and i had somewhere to work....of course if you live in a flat this might be a problem, lol!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Pogo,this is the age old question of what to do with your models once they are built up,mine are kept in seal top plastic bags with a bit of air blown in to create a cushion,these are then stored into curver boxes,I still enjoy my collection by rotating them a few at a time by displaying either on a shelf or in a glass cabinet,also I enjoy setting up realistic period dioramas and taking photographs of them,the monsters are placed around my den so I can enjoy looking at them as well,I also have some in the local air museum,then there are the occasional table top displays which are hard work but worth putting on at special events,it is a problem that is up to the individual as to just how much space is available,my wife always says that I need a mansion !

P

Pogo

Thanks for the feed back. I have to say that selling it had occured to me but i'm masochistic to think i may yet build it .How about a weather Vane? Bet no one else thought of that.A b52 in 1/72 on the roof !!! Now theres a thought .

Barry i think ive seen some of your models at Baginton at the Midland Air Museum.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Pogo,when did you visit the Midland Air Museum ?

R

rjwood_uk

my "uncle" (close friend of the family)...(my he rest in peace) got me into modeling at a young age, he had hundreds of kits and every time i went to see him he would give me a new model to make. Later on into his life he started making 1/12 woden aeroplanes...as weather vains. he did give me and my brother a spit he made, it was awesome! unfortunatly my dad never fixed it ontop of the shed properly and it fell off a few times and broke, i might still have the remains somewhere, if i can find them i will get some pics up.

so pogo, that is a realistic idea and it will look great!

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard,

You could always build it then donate it to a school, Air Training Corp group, local Museum, Library, younger members of the family etc......etc...

...or give it the wife for Christmas and see what she does with it!!!

N

Nigel.D

Richard,.....or give it the wife for Christmas and see what she does with it!!!
Richard i have the same problem with a Revell 1/48 b1 and the b52 but if i gave it to Ingrid for Xmas i would never have to use toilet paper again lol:emo10:

P

Pogo

How about a new type christmas decoration? A bit of glitter, some tinsel some holly and suspend it from the tail.Even put candles in the intakes?

S

squiffythewombat

Even put candles in the intakes?
Yes, because candles and plastic mix so well! (for added effect place on top of turps tree!)

Sorry pogo, couldnt resist that one, lol!

P

Pogo

OK then

How about Plastic none lightable candles with LED Flame effect?

Thanks Squiffy but id thought of that .anyway i didnt say whose house i was going to destroy....Sorry i meant Decorate

A

AerynPk

Richard i have the same problem with a Revell 1/48 b1 and the b52 but if i gave it to Ingrid for Xmas i would never have to use toilet paper again lol:emo10:
erm excuse me those planes are mine you gave them to me for xmas so what they are not mine anymore.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Thats it,you stand your ground Char,hang onto those large models,you will always find room for them.

erm excuse me those planes are mine you gave them to me for xmas so what they are not mine anymore.