Ez line

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Has anyone ever used ez line? I was asked if its something I could get hold of, I've looked to it and I can get it, it does look useful stuff

This Elastic Polymer has 700% stretch and will stretch when bumped and instantly go back to its original state. *No Fuzz or Kinks. *Sold in 100 foot spools.

2 Sizes for several uses. *

Fine (.003) for N or HO Phone Lines or Small Ship Rigging, Simulated Model Truck Hoses, Crane Cables, etc.

Heavy (.006) for O phone lines, HO Trunk Lines or High Tension Lines, Guard Rail Lines, Tie Down Load Straps or Simulated Crane Cables & Ship rigging.

You can look at their website berkshirejunction.com

It will be about £12 for 100ft real, just want to get some feedback do you think it looks a worth while product to stock?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
John, ive not used ez line but i have used something very similar. Its bait elastic , used by fishermen to tie the bait to the hook (i think!) , its a very thin ,very stretchy elastic type of rubber and it is good for rigging /aerials etc. The only drawback is that its a very light colour so if you wanted a black or silver wire ,you'd have to colour it. I reckon many people would be interested in something like this , cheers tony

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I forgot to say this comes in 5 colours, Charcoal, Rust/Copper, Green (Old Copper), Rope & White.

I can't a big use for white but I can for the others.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
John. I used it on my last FW190 A8/R2 build. It's excellent stuff and i highly recommend it.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Its bait elastic , used by fishermen to tie the bait to the hook (i think!)
It also rots/biodegrades. I use it alot when fishing

S

Scuff

I did look in to getting some to try John, but I ended up getting 100m of Gold Zack knitting in elastic for a few quid off of eBay. That works fine, very stretchy :smiling3:

I wouldn't mind trying some EZ Line though.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'd take at least a reel of the Heavy one in Charcoal to try John.

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi John

Yes, I've used EZ line. Charcoal .003 will probably prove the most useful. I have posted on this product before it is, in my opinion, the easiest (and the most durable) way to rig anything. I think you'd do well with it.

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not a user,but always interested! I just wondered about the dimensions. .003 whats and is that the 'relaxed' diametre?

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

The thickness doesn't vary that much under tension (in normal use). The idea is to stretch it a little just to get a nice taught wire. There's plenty of give in the thread and allows you to handle the model freely without fear of the wire coming detached from the mounting points.

It's definitely worth investigating even if you're a stretch sprue, fishing wire advocate.

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
It's definitely worth investigating even if you're a stretch sprue, fishing wire advocate.

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul,I am a fishing line (painted silver/grey) kinda guy for most aircraft antenna wires. Stretched clear sprue does a good job but it always takes me a couple of tries and I have burnt my fingers once or twice. I was going to use it on my 1/72 Fw190 but couldn't get it to look right :sad:

I'm always up for a different solution.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Steve honestly it's dead easy to use. Also means you can get away with knocking a little during handling your model without it breaking.

T

tecdes

Found Gold Zack to be the easiest to use. Only have EZ in charcoal. Gold Zack in white, or really nylon transparent, is I would think the nearest to stainless steel you would get. Found the EZ line tends to fray at the end. Gold Zack is ok provided it is cleanly cut with a sharp blade. EZ line tends to flop which makes it more difficult to attach. Gold Zack has a bit more stiffness & easier to use.

On the thickness angle for EZ line it depends on the scale if you want to be accurate. The .006 is about .5 of an inch (hope maths is up to scratch) at 1/72. AT 1/48 it is about 0.25 inches.

Gold Zack I would say is a little bit thicker. Used it on a 1/48 recently & it looks OK. But it would be a very clever person to distinguish at 1/48 or 1/72 if the thickness was correct. Stretching it makes to the human eye no difference. In fact there is no need to stretch more than 5 to 10% which makes no difference what so ever.

EZ is expensive as you are only given the option of a huge reel (ok for loads of telegraph wire). Gold Zack is marketed on a reel (knicker elastic thread) & is only a couple or so of pound notes. If you search for bead elastic (for making necklaces) there are a number of items which have a larger diameter for 1/32 scale.

Laurie

M

m1ks

No experience with EZ line, but I have seen it used in a model magazine feature build, it was used to replicate the rigging on a biplane and did look very good, the article writer enthused about it.

Nylon and elasticated beading / jewellery wire is commonplace and very cheap though such as this.

Clear nylon beading wire, 0.3mm diameter, 150m reel

This stuff I have a reel of and have used this to hang models from my wee fella's bedroom ceiling, one of which is a completely assembled Airfix Saturn V, it's stretchy and unbelievably strong, this is only available in .8 and 1mm though but is apparently used ot make elasticated necklaces and bracelets and designed to hold several heavy beads and the like.

Crystal elastic beading cord, 0.8mm diameter, 9m roll.

Worth a general look is this page which has various coloured wires, Nylon thread and even a very very fine knitted wire mesh in various colours too.

Thong, Cord & Wire - Great glass beads, gemstone beads and jewellery findings from Magpie Jewellery

As mentioned above too, fishing shops can yield some very interesting results, i've used them before for RC flight related stuff, things like hollow silicon tube and the like.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I like the sound of the knitting in elastic, it sounds identical. As laurie says ,the ez line is quite expensive , and a reel of this knitting elastic is only about £3 for twice as much on the reel. The yorkshireman in me is saying stock the cheaper , better value option!!! LOL!! cheers tony

H

happy1

I have also used it and I'm still using EZ-line I've not notice any fraying ends, I've been using EZ-Line for about a year now and I love the stuff it's the best on the market.

Paul