fast finish paint help

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have a spray tin of paint called fast finish its a polycarbonate body spray for r/c cars it's chrome and unlike most chrome sprays it gives a nice almost mirror finish but the only downside to it rubs off very easy and does any one know how to seal this type of paint i can't give any pics at the moment as my phone is in the menders but any help would be welcome also it doesn't say if it's enamel or acrylic.

Cheers Peter

View attachment 66613

gallery1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
99% of sprays for polycarbonate car bodies is normally sprayed on to the INSIDE of the shell then just sealed with a compatible "undercoat! They are designed to be more flexible than robust.

I have never used any to paint the outside of a car shell, so I cant comment on sealing it. I would GUESS that any compatible clear finishing paint. Dont expect it keep the mirror like finish though.

Ian M

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Thank's very much i will give it a go and see what happens but thanks again.

Cheers Peter

M

m1ks

As Ian says, this paint is typically sprayed under the shell, the shell iteslf acting as the shiny clearcoat and preventing scrapes when it inevitably gets a bash during a race.

I guess it'll be like alclad in behaviour after clearcoating, it will probably lose some reflectivity, I'd suggest coating a piece of scrap / plastic bottle or something and then try a reange of clears on it to see if theres a reaction and which covers best.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
As Ian and Mike say , if a clearcoat is applied to this type of chrome spray it will certainly dull the finish. I have tried similar things with a tin of spray i had , when i sprayed it a bright chrome like finish resulted , but it rubbed off on your hands if handled so i gave it a clear coat to protect it -only to lose the brightness. tony

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
thanks for all your help i think i will stick with what i normaly use i will probably find some use for it.

peter

First Name
Adrian
For my 10p worth,

I have those battery operated turn tables with the mirror surfaces. On the way back from one show I didn't remove the batteries and they managed to switch on causing major scratches across the surfaces.

I have some Alclad Aqua gloss that I used on my Ironman build and thought I'd give it a go, so after using 12,000 polishing cloth I sprayed it and left it to dry. On my return I have an equally reflective surface like I had before !!! My point been you may want to give it a try on some plastic card and see what results you get.

Adrian