figures and shadows

A

AVB99

Hello

I'm working on a kit (1:35) which has some figures. I can paint these but need to add some shadow on the clothing etc, to give them some depth. What do Iuse please? Is it a bit like dry brushing? What colours would I use for dark areas? Any advice on any aspect of figure painting would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Aidan

P

Plastickitbasher

Aidan,

On dark uniforms I use Migs dark wash but the brush is near dry so you create a thin shadow over a few thin coats in the folds of the uniform, if the uniform is a light colour then I use Migs natural wash applied in the same way. For the boots I use flat black then dry brush black gray then dry brush light gray sparringly for the highlights. For uniform highlights I mix a little light flesh to the base uniform colour and then dry brush over the highpoints.

Hope that helps

Any quetions just ask or shoot me a pm.

regards

David

A

AVB99

\ said:
Aidan,On dark uniforms I use Migs dark wash but the brush is near dry so you create a thin shadow over a few thin coats in the folds of the uniform, if the uniform is a light colour then I use Migs natural wash applied in the same way. For the boots I use flat black then dry brush black gray then dry brush light gray sparringly for the highlights. For uniform highlights I mix a little light flesh to the base uniform colour and then dry brush over the highpoints.

Hope that helps

Any quetions just ask or shoot me a pm.

regards

David
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply David. I'll give these a go.

Aidan

M

MrTin

Don't forget that shadows are only darker versions of the same colour. Don't overdo it.

And please go easy on the dry brushing "technique". In my view Mr.Verlinden set scenic modelling back 50 years with that.

I did a brass master of a 1/35th scale Alvis Scimitar for Barton Miniatures years ago and then built the first set of castings for him exactly according to what I saw when I measured the vehicles at Carver barracks. The military models fans at the Mildenhall Model Club hated it, saying the finish was wrong because there was no dry brushing! I then pulled out the 300 photos I'd taken and said , "There's your proof" They were amazed at what they saw. A satin paint, hand applied with aerosol cammo, touched up with a brush, then the whole thing sprayed in oil to protect the aluminium armour. Not a dry brushed highlight in sight or any possibility of same.

Dry brushing makes everything from figures to vehicles look dead, if a vehicle can look dead!

It is NOT a cureall for poor original painting, or accurate observation.

Martin