Fittin on Big Decals

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well im thinkin of fittin on the big skull an cross bones of the jolly roger sqr on the tomcat verticals so how do i use this decal fix an such which do i put on firstly ? as its been yrs since ive fitted on decals
chrisb

Reactions: JR

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Hi Chris,

Good question, although there are probably as many answers as there are modellers.

Personally, I use a two bottle system called Micro Sol and Micro set, but I'm sure decal fix would be about the same. My normal procedure is to use warm water to remove the decal from the backing paper. Coat the area where the decal is going with the decal solution, position the decal, leave it to settle, and then gently roll a cotton bud over it to get rid of the excess fluid. and them maybe dab a bit more of the decal solution over the top and let dry.

If you use the two part system, once it it's dry I add a bit of the Microsol...? .. set...?? er... the red one, over the decal to help it conform to the surface.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It should say on the bottle of whatever decal solution you’re using, which is to go on first. If they’re called 1 and 2, like old Humbrol Decal Fix, I would assume to just use 1 under it and 2 over it (though I have to say that the Humbrol ones never seemed to do much at all when I used them, very long ago). With Micro Set and Sol, Set goes under the decal and Sol goes over it.

Does the kit come with more than one set of decals? If so, I’d advise you to practice using some of the larger spares before tackling the actual ones you want on the model.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris I use Vallejo , had the two bottles I've marked 1 and 2 had them for at least 7 years. Mind you I don't use many decals ;)