Future Klear/ Tamiya Flat

M

MrSprue

I've airbrushed a mix of Future Klear and Tamiya flat base X-21, (ratio about 3:1) onto my completed and Klear coated scale aircraft. The colours now look a bit chalky, black looking a very dark shade of grey. I can live with that, but I also have a number of white spots, which I assume to be as a result of an incomplete Future/ flat base mix. I tested my flat coat mix by brush coating a test area an it looked fine except from some brush strokes. I gave the mix what I thought was a good stir before airbrushing. Can anyone suggest the best way forward from here? Anyone suggest a better clear matt product? I went with the Klear/ flat option as I considered it would bind best to the Klear already on the model.

First Name
Aaron
I too have done this and it worked well execpt it wasnt as matt as i liked.

It should have been fine brushed on as the strokes usually level out really nicely with klear.

I use Tamiya XF 86 as a matt cote now. Vallejo has matt and gloss and satin varnishes which i havent used.

M

MrSprue

Thanks aaron, I will source some Tamiya XF86 and Vallejo and give them a try. I've tried Humbrol matte cote in the past and although it gave a nice finish it didn't appear adhere to Future Klear well as it easily scuffed up with handling.

P

phalinmegob

i may be wrong but isnt tamiya flat base a product for taking the shine out of their gloss paint and not a clear matt varnish ?

First Name
Aaron
Yep thats right Andrew...X21 is flat base Xf86 is flat clear.