Genuine Fokker Dr.1 aircraft.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There are a lot of photographs and details around of replica Fokker Triplanes,most of which differ in many aspects from the original machines,after a bit of research there is one that stands out as being the most faithful of replica machines,this is N864DR which is now somewhere within the Australian War Memorial collection complex of historic aircraft.

This particular aircraft was painstakingly built for the film 'The Great Waldo Pepper' then she became the property of Neil Cottee in Australia and registered as VH-ALU,then presented to the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

What makes this example stand out and shine is that she was built from the original Fokker drawings.

Now if only we have someone here who lives near that wonderful museum who would take some pictures of her for us ? if it is possible to take a cockpit shot then that really would be a bonus ! Thank you.

N

new to trains

i made one in lego once !!!!- then it became a retail kit !

D

duncan

I believe the one at Old Rheinbeck Aerodrome, upstate NY, is an original (not replica). The late Cole Palen`s staff are very helpful to modellers.

K

Kiwi

Cole Palens one is not an original. The last genuine Dr1 was destroyed by the allied bombing of the museum in Berlin. We have five replicas (owned by Peter Jackson) which fly reguarly here in New Zealand. Incidently there have been more replicas built than were originally produced. I had a set replica plans but sold them to an Australian when I realised that I would never build (or could afford to build) it. I seem to recall that I have posted photos of the five ship formation previously on the site.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Cole Palens one is not an original. The last genuine Dr1 was destroyed by the allied bombing of the museum in Berlin. We have five replicas (owned by Peter Jackson) which fly reguarly here in New Zealand. Incidently there have been more replicas built than were originally produced. I had a set replica plans but sold them to an Australian when I realised that I would never build (or could afford to build) it. I seem to recall that I have posted photos of the five ship formation previously on the site.
*** Cole Palen used to build his many replicas using basket cases of metal fittings from original aircraft,I think this is where some confusion has crept in regarding the one at Old Rhinebeck,it is certainly a replica that has suffered a few prangs in the past and been put together again,it is also not the only one that he owned during his lifetime.

What I am looking for is an interior cockpit shot of a genuine Fokker Dr.1 and not one from a modern replica to complete the Red Baron model correctly,the cockpit in the Hachette example is far from being accurate,but with a little work could be vastly improved with the use of a genuine interior as a guide.

Yes you did post pictures of that formation of Fokker Dr.1's in NZ.

There is nothing wrong with replica aircraft,after all it is the only way that some of us will ever get the chance to see historic aircraft flying,but when modellers seek accuracy then early works drawings are excellent,these machines are designed to conform to modern airworthiness requirements and usually incorporate safety features such as modern steel tube,sometimes not even the correct section,non rotary engines and modern instrumentation.

K

Kiwi

maybe someone on this site (or one of the other sites on the WW1 ring) can help with a cockpit photo?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
maybe someone on this site (or one of the other sites on the WW1 ring) can help with a cockpit photo?
***Yes Kiwi,there must be a photograph on file somewhere of a Fokker Triplane cockpit,the 'Aerodrome' looks like a likely place.

O

OHOPE

If you include the full sized diarama in the museum which depicts the Red Barons aircraft moments after it was downed , there are now eight Fokker DR1 replicas at Omaka , the other seven fly .