I was wondering where the tyres were dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Made some progress.

IMGP4317.JPGIMGP4318.JPG

It's much bigger than I thought. Gotta start splashing paint around before I fit the driver's compartment but as I'll have the thing on it's back a lot while I'm fitting all the underside bits, I'll leave that until later.

Couple of points though.

PJ had a go at an old Monogram kit which seemed to be made of the same dark green plastic as this. He had lots of problems getting the parts to stick together with Tamiya Extra Thin. My feeling is that the Extra Thin isn't 'hot' enough so I'm using EMA Plastic Weld which is working really well on the plastic. It don't half dry quick though so I'm having to put plenty on the paint brush I'm using to make sure it doesn't all evaporate before I can get the brush from the bottle to the plastic! I kid you not - it does dry that quick!

There's plenty of mould seams and bits of flash - particularly on the bigger parts - but once they're cleaned up, the fit is excellent so no complaints about the kit so far. I've found one error in the instructions. They have parts 32 and 33 mixed up but a quick look at the diagram in stage 9 (next page) sorts that out.

That's it for tonight. Beddy-byes time!

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
A good start on this build Dave, does it remind anybody else of the american 'stryker' ICM ?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
does it remind anybody else of the american 'stryker' ICM ?
In being an eight-wheeler, sure, but the MOWAG Piranha (that the Stryker is based on) is rather smaller than the Boxer. Which is no surprise — almost everything is :smiling3: Here’s some video of an ambulance version in Dutch service, the size really becomes apparent when you see them lift a pretend-casualty in it towards the end:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Made some progress.

View attachment 470775View attachment 470776

It's much bigger than I thought. Gotta start splashing paint around before I fit the driver's compartment but as I'll have the thing on it's back a lot while I'm fitting all the underside bits, I'll leave that until later.

Couple of points though.

PJ had a go at an old Monogram kit which seemed to be made of the same dark green plastic as this. He had lots of problems getting the parts to stick together with Tamiya Extra Thin. My feeling is that the Extra Thin isn't 'hot' enough so I'm using EMA Plastic Weld which is working really well on the plastic. It don't half dry quick though so I'm having to put plenty on the paint brush I'm using to make sure it doesn't all evaporate before I can get the brush from the bottle to the plastic! I kid you not - it does dry that quick!

There's plenty of mould seams and bits of flash - particularly on the bigger parts - but once they're cleaned up, the fit is excellent so no complaints about the kit so far. I've found one error in the instructions. They have parts 32 and 33 mixed up but a quick look at the diagram in stage 9 (next page) sorts that out.

That's it for tonight. Beddy-byes time!
That Revell green plastic is bad stuff - I tried to assemble the Revell ATF Dingo 2 with TET, but ended up reverting to Contacta, it always seems a little soft in the details as well
Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Made some progress but by all the Gods it's slow going.

I've already said I'm using EMA Plastic Weld as my Tamiya cements have real trouble with this plastic. Trouble with EMA is that it evaporates so quickly - literally in the time it takes to get the brush out of the bottle and lined up with the parts I want to fix. The amount of times I've tried to fix parts together with a completely dry brush is frightening.

Anyway, I am getting there:

IMGP4334.JPG

IMGP4335.JPG

IMGP4336.JPG

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Coming along nicely Dave- “slowly,slowly” and all that :smiling4:

Geoff.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
And he's off. I like EMA plastic weld but do agree about how quickly it evaporates. I few years ago I forgot to put the top on a bottle overnight and almost half the stuff disappeared .

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Looking good so far Dave!!! Huge critter too. I used to use Micro Weld years ago and had the same problem. Dried in a second. When you did join two pieces with it, you couldn't get them apart again. It was hell on your brushes too...

Prost
Allen

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
And he's off. I like EMA plastic weld but do agree about how quickly it evaporates. I few years ago I forgot to put the top on a bottle overnight and almost half the stuff disappeared .
That was the carpet monster, he fancied something a little stronger than plastic..