Get ready for the new regulations-Dope.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I noticed that Guillows are recommending the use of thinned PVA glue as a useful substitute for clear dope,well today was wet and miserable here in the UK and totally unsuitable for doping outside where I usually perform this smelly operation and I needed to crack on with my model,too humid and damp,so I thought that I would give this idea a try,nice and snug in my den I mixed up a solution and applied it,the results are very good,you would not be able to tell the difference from ordinary clear dope,the advantages are no smell and a much tougher tissue as the tiny poly vinyl acetate particles bond to the tissue,now here is another dodge worth remembering,when you finish a model with enamel paints and need to place a patch clear dope is out of the question as it just pickles the enamel,however if you use thinned PVA again no problems.

Hope this idea appeals to someone especially as it has advantages in bad weather doping,give it a try it really works,you will need to experiment with the water to PVA ratio,just a bit thinner than milk is my guide.

We will soon have to find alternatives to dope as in a few years time it will no longer be available,the effects on the ozone layer give rise to concern over its use in industry.

J

Joules

Yep, thanks to the Yanks :nerd:) no such thing as an honest dope dealer anymore...

Joules