Glue and Filling Basics

P

Paul

Hi there,

Yes, another newbie here! I have some experience from building wargaming items (28 and 15mm mainly, and for use rather than display so a lot more forgiving!), but have recently felt a desire to revisit my childhood hobby and move up in scale. However, the years in between haven't resulted in the acquisition of miraculous talent, and so I am looking for some advice on some of the very basics in model assembly (I am sure the painting, weathering and display questions will follow!).

In the first instance there is the matter of model construction. I am much better at preparing parts, and more patient in terms of careful sprue removal, removing mould lines etc. However, my control over glue appears as bad as ever. How do you control glue application for smaller parts so that the glue doesn't spread across the chassis for example? What glue is best for smaller parts and what is best for more structural elements such as hull construction? I am quite prepared to accept that different glues are better for different elements, but not sure where to start!

I can also see that, no matter which model is being built, there is sometimes a gap that needs filling. Fortunately I haven't yet had to deal with one that would require additional styrene filling (dreading that!), but some elements do need filling to address fit issues. What filler do people use? I have tried the Humbrol model filler, but found it a bit thick and 'claggy' when trying to control the application - is this just a matter of getting experience or are there other fillers that may be more 'newcomer' friendly?

The current project is a Leopard 2A4 from Revell with a Matilda and Tiger from Tamiya waiting for attention (the fruits of a birthday trip to Bovington!). The Leopard is going to be a purely out of the box build to get some experience, but I am considering some more display options for the other two, including more extensive weathering.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers that anyone can offer.

Cheers,

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Paul. Can't help with the glue question but I know there's loads of threads on here which can. Use the search box for types of glue etc.

As for dealing with seams, this link has been posted on here before and has loads of useful information, tips and techniques with some great pictures illustrating the types of problem you come across and how to deal with them.

http://aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=111677&page=1

Gern

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Use the thinnest piece of wire or paperclip or cocktail stick to apply glue, you don't need loads just a small amount and leave to set overnight, the more you play with it the looser the joint will be. Use masking tape to tape the parts together or rubber bands until set. I use a type of glue that sets quickly, melts the plastic slightly so acts like a hot weld, can't remember what its called but it is for models.

Si:smiling3:

T

tecdes

Paul I would start with the basic Poly Cement Humbrol & Revell do them. Do not drown joints expecting the poly cement to act as filler. The glue melts the joint of each piece & the two parts will melt into each other.

Large joints especially wing joints which take stress & strain are best filled with a piece of plastic using Poly cement & then the remaining little gaps left filled.

Best I find to elimnate as many joint gaps as possible but I also find it enivitable that some occur. Used Humbrol recently & found it not to bad not much different form all the others I have tried. Best to fill in layers. Small gaps etc Vallejo putty filler I have found the best.

That above is the basic. There are what may be called more advanced techniques using a very thin glue. First dry contruct using tape to hold the pieces. Then use the thin glue around the joint which wicks into the joint. There are also similar fillers made by the same company Mr Hobby. The filler you paint on. If when you get to use these best to come back for a better description.

Laurie

P

Paul

Thank you all so much for the replies. And my apologies for not using the search properly beforehand - I really should know better!

What is irritating is that I know that the glue melts the plastic to form a bond, and yet for some reason - when the plastic is in my hand - I seem to think of it as Polyfilla! A brilliant idea about the wire/cocktail stick; I'll certainly try that and at the very least it would be better to start with less glue.

Now I just need to work out how to get the vinyl mudflaps to stay on the back of the Leopard; they'll be the death of me!

Once again, thanks very much for all the replies, and so quickly.

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Your 'ordinary' plastic type adhesives don't work on vinyl Paul. You'll need some sort of superglue/CA to fix those mudguards. I'm having a look at some stuff which is supposed to work with all sorts of soft plastics but I've not finished playing with it yet. I'll post something when I have.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That aeroscale thread is a good one.

I use thin cement for most building, particularly anything with long seams. I apply the glue with a thin brush. Tamiya Extra Thin and Mr Hobby Mr Cement S are the two I use, there's little to choose between them.

It's worth mentioning that unless the two mating surfaces are actually mating then whatever glue you use will not avoid the deadly visible seams! If you get it right a quick scrape and sand is all that is needed......no filling at all.

Cheers

Steve