H&S Infinity CR plus Nozzle Clogging

Rhys The Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rhys
I am sure it is me being a numty but I have constant nozzle clogging on my brand new H&S CR Plus Infinity 2in1. Tamiya acrylics, Tamiya acrylic thinner - happens no matter how thin the paint after just a few minutes airbrushing! Anyone else have the same issues with H&S airbrushes? Any suggestions? Recently upgraded from a Iwata Neo.

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi and welcome, following this with interest as new to airbrushing, the 2nd hand compressor and air brush I just bought is a Iwata Neo, will be using it shortly any problems with it? why did you change it?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Welcome.

What needle size are you using?

The .2 needle does have more of a tendency to clog or, if the smaller needle is .15 that will clog because it is not the right size to use for model paints. The .4 should work.

Other reasons for clogging can be wrong air pressure or paint insufficiently thinned.

You can, of course, shorten the learning curve on using the airbrush by eliminating one variable factor namely thinning, there are paints sold airbrush ready.

Rhys The Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rhys
Hi and welcome, following this with interest as new to airbrushing, the 2nd hand compressor and air brush I just bought is a Iwata Neo, will be using it shortly any problems with it? why did you change it?

I love my Iwata Neo - should have stuck with it. I upgraded simply for better control/detail work. This may have been a mistake but I knackered the needle and managed to lose the little brass nozzle after a couple of years of using it when cleaning it one day and decided to upgrade rather than buy replacement parts.

Rhys The Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rhys
Welcome.

What needle size are you using?

The .2 needle does have more of a tendency to clog or, if the smaller needle is .15 that will clog because it is not the right size to use for model paints. The .4 should work.

Other reasons for clogging can be wrong air pressure or paint insufficiently thinned.

You can, of course, shorten the learning curve on using the airbrush by eliminating one variable factor namely thinning, there are paints sold airbrush ready.
I have put the .4 needle/nozzle in - and the clogging is ongoing - I have seen there are some H&S videos on Youtube from another thread on here so will watch them - it could be im not screwing the aircap on tightly enough and not having the needles pushed far enough into the nozzle as I am caution about damaging threads and splitting the nozzle. I am a bit of an oaf so i err on the side of caution as much as possible these days. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong but I am confident the paint is thin enough. Tend to hover around the 15-20 psi mark for general work, 10-12 psi for detailed work with ultra thinned paints.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
You should not have problems with the Neo, pretty robust airbrush. Only advice is watch your paint mixes even if it says airbrush ready, and pressure.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I am sure it is me being a numty but I have constant nozzle clogging on my brand new H&S CR Plus Infinity 2in1. Tamiya acrylics, Tamiya acrylic thinner - happens no matter how thin the paint after just a few minutes airbrushing! Anyone else have the same issues with H&S airbrushes? Any suggestions? Recently upgraded from a Iwata Neo.
I have a love/hate relationship with H&S Infinity, it seemed to hate acrylics and would clog even if I looked at it. A needle change up to 0.5 sorted out the problem and for fine work dropped in an 0.3. But I also added a flow improver. Now it sits in the draw and glares at my Iwata Neo. Even the Badger Renegade worked better....

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm another that had trouble with my infinity clogging with acrylics.

I see you've noticed about the H&S videos as I was going to recommend them. There's one in particular where Warwick describes the whole process behind it which I found very useful.

In short; paint dries on the tip of the needle. This swells it, causing you to pull the trigger further back for the same amount of paint flow. Eventually you pull the needle so far back that the dried paint gets pulled inside, causing a clog.

Cleaning the needle very regularly will minimise this. I use either a stiff paintbrush or a cotton bud dipped in the appropriate cleaner for the paint, checking the needle every few seconds and wiping when I see even the slightest build up.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
And following Andy's advice I forgot to add that after a long session - strip the airbrush down and let it soak in a jar of IPA, this will release any paint that has dried inside the airbrush. I use one of those foil takeaway trays, then pour the used IPA into a glass jar (jam type) and keep for this purpose.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
When using my H&S Ultra, each time I finish a spray sweep I dab the tip through the cut out in the nozzle with a chopped down brush and don’t have an issue.
That said, as I’m new to airbrushing, I simply followed the advice on the H&S videos. Works for me.
The have also made dismantling and assembly easier too minimising possible damage!!

Rhys The Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rhys
Thanks for all the advice - Hopefully I will be able to get to the bottom of it at the weekend and spend some happy hours getting my Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury basic colours down ready for decalling etc.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I did experience some clogs and blowback when I started to use H&S After it still did it with neat thinners I found that it was indeed the air cap that was not fully screwed on firmly. I cleaned it and hey-presto. problem solved. For me anyway.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've ordered a Fengda 183K on Amazon - will be delivered today. I give up with the H&S for the time being and cant afford the equivalent Iwata right now.
Looks a decent price Rhys. Most fine nozzles are better suited to inks. I had more trouble than most with H&S, mainly a mix up with nozzle and needles before they marked then . I now have a cheap Iwata and are changing paints to AK 3RD GEN. No more blockages using them.