H&S Ultra 2024

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Anyone know if there is a .05 nozzle kit available for this struggling with the standard nozzle on anything lower than prime will spray fine for a while then clogs that's using Vallejo Air

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Anyone know if there is a .05 nozzle kit available for this struggling with the standard nozzle on anything lower than prime will spray fine for a while then clogs that's using Vallejo Air
Haven’t had an issue with mine Brian.
Works well and I’ve used all the settings now.
I always thin initially to 50 - 50 with the ultra the refine that with my drip test!!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Vallejo can have a tendency to dry round the tip of the ab, a regular wipe with a cotton bud and thinners should improve things.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I think the standard size in those is 0.45, so practically what you are asking for anyway.

I doubt that is the problem though, more likely you aren't cleaning the tip regularly enough, as Mark suggests.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I think the standard size in those is 0.45, so practically what you are asking for anyway.

I doubt that is the problem though, more likely you aren't cleaning the tip regularly enough, as Mark suggests.
After watching the H&S videos on the Ultra I use a short bristled brush to stick in the access holes in the nozzle to clear the tip. This I do after nearly every couple of sweeps of the AB over a piece I am spraying. So after a couple of passes I will stop spraying, dab the short bristled brush into all four openings in the nozzle end.
Then after each colour I will flush through as per the H&S recommendation then top up with fresh mix. At the end of the session I will give the AB a more thorough clean.
Not had any problems so I'm really very pleased with how it performs. As this is still my first year of using an airbrush I find this model quite refreshing after my Timbertech AB which splattered, and spurted often and needed a thorough clean after every colour!!!!

Reactions: JR

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
As Andy says it’s a .45, but as far a I know that is only the needle cap, the needle is .04, they made the needle cap a little bigger to prevent blocking or tip drying. It’s a fantastic airbrush, certainly wouldn’t class it as the entry level, but it is.

what PSI are you using?

You could always add a bit more thinner, not all paints thin at the same ratio, or add a bit of retarder.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Around 18-20psi gave it a good strip down clean and it seems better, found some paint residue around the air Vv
18-20 is usually where I operate. Fingers crossed Brian the strip down cures your problems with it. It is a great AB.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
With Vallejo MA and other water based paint you do get very different experiences reported by users.

This largely comes down to humidity and how it affects the spraying of these paints. You need to experiment with what works for you with the use of retarder, thinner and air pressure combinations. I would suggest starting with a drop of retarder and then moving up the air pressure closer to 25psi. The needle should not make a difference as VMA works well with needle sizes over .3 and I have used it successfully with a .4 needle

It can be a lot of ‘flaffing around’ with these paints but if you don’t have a well ventilated spray area or a decent spray booth these are the better option. But don’t expect trouble free spraying, you will get to learn with experience how to deal with them, tip-dry will happen regardless on long spraying sessions.

That said, if you do have an extracting spray booth to get rid of fumes, I would suggest switching to lacquer based paint. You get none of the problems you experienced and a lot of advantages.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally I find VMA needs more thinning (using their airbrush thinners) and a drop or two of flow aid to behave itself. It brush paints straight from the bottle, but certainly doesn’t spray that way. I use a .35 needle in my Iwatta at 15-20 psi, by the way.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Right I'm not going down the lacquer/ acrylics Road but if your just starting out sit down with some plastic picnic spoons cheap on flea bay ,a few sheets of printer paper and teach your self how to thin paint/set air pressure best for you ,you can be shown this but your the only person who can learn it. Its the old adage its not the golf club its the man behind it im afraid your be surprised a little practice makes all the difference.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Right I'm not going down the lacquer/ acrylics Road but if your just starting out sit down with some plastic picnic spoons cheap on flea bay ,a few sheets of printer paper and teach your self how to thin paint/set air pressure best for you ,you can be shown this but your the only person who can learn it. Its the old adage its not the golf club its the man behind it im afraid your be surprised a little practice makes all the difference.
100% agree with this. Graph paper is quite good for practicing line and shape following as well.