Han Solo 1:6 vinyl AMT/Ertl model

W

Waffen Bucks

Just finished my Han Solo 1:6 vinyl AMT/Ertl model. Went together fairly well. No need for hot water and hairdryers etc. Model was moulded well, no real need for any alterations. Paint scheme i sourced from the web. Black waistcoat, cream shirt, blue jeans (they were really jeans), black riding boots.

You can go for the black and white clothing scheme as used on the Kenner toy figure if you wish.

Kit comes with broom handle Mauser blaster pistol, droid caller and base. Pistol was missing the scope sight that is found on Han's blaster but i used the thin plastic protectors that come with any new brush you purchase, to make a scope. I inserted one into another and heated a piece of plastic (with a flame) to make the attachment. Paint with metal tone, rub down and job done.

I used various Tamiya paints and Humbrol Matt Cote. For the skin colour i used and mixture of Tamiya Flat Flash, Vallejo Dark Flesh and Tamiya Flat White.View attachment 57400View attachment 57401View attachment 57402View attachment 57403View attachment 57404

View attachment 59355

View attachment 59356

View attachment 59357

View attachment 59358

View attachment 59359

Han model (4).jpg

Han model (8).jpg

Han model (13).jpg

han-solo-e1345557653441.jpg

solo4.jpg

M

m1ks

That's a great looking model, (i never knew he wore jeans, I always thought they were a dark blue heavy cotton military type trouser).

The posting of this coudl be quite handy for me potentially, :smiling3:

I've been looking for an ABC warrior kit, (Dredd), and can only kit re-pops of a Vinyl kit on ebay, i've never worked with vinyl, other than needing to use Epoxy/Cyano rather than styrene cement, how difficult are these figure kits to work with? I've heard mention also of heating and re-shaping, I assume this is done where necessary and the kit once cool retains the shape?

Would be grateful for any advice on building them and any difference in procedure for prep and paint etc.

Thanks.

W

Waffen Bucks

\ said:
That's a great looking model, (i never knew he wore jeans, I always thought they were a dark blue heavy cotton military type trouser).The posting of this coudl be quite handy for me potentially, :smiling3:

I've been looking for an ABC warrior kit, (Dredd), and can only kit re-pops of a Vinyl kit on ebay, i've never worked with vinyl, other than needing to use Epoxy/Cyano rather than styrene cement, how difficult are these figure kits to work with? I've heard mention also of heating and re-shaping, I assume this is done where necessary and the kit once cool retains the shape?

Would be grateful for any advice on building them and any difference in procedure for prep and paint etc.

Thanks.
Thanks for your kind words.

I'm in the middle of a third build at the moment, so the main issues that i've come across are:

Non-fitting: X rarely marks the spot and vinyl kits rarely fit together out of the box. Once the excess has been cut away, its a basic battle with your scalpel to make the parts fit well. Han Solo wasn't too bad but the Luke Skywalker i'm working on at the moment needs some work with filler (arms to body).

Re-shaping: The Stormtrooper i finished was a nightmare. It was a far eastern copy on ebay. The helmet was way out of shape and he must have had a size 24" waist. Reshaping was fairly easy, just put said peice in warm water, reshape, then hold until cold. It can be done with a hairdryer too but be sure not to burn your hands.

Prep: I always wash the pieces first, let them drip dry, then prime them. Poundshops can be a great source of primer in spray cans. I tend to use grey but sometimes white, just depends on colour of the clothes etc. Acrylic paints are what i always use. Enamel doesn't really sit well on the vinyl. Some polystyrene and some bbq skewers are always good to hold pieces so you can paint them.

I tend to use industrial strength super glue to put it all together. Has never failed me yet and i haven't stuck my fingers toegether either. :thumbsup:

M

m1ks

Thanks, I might just have a bash at the kit i've been looking at, not too pricey so it won't be terrible if it doesn't go too well. Main worry is that it's a recast and provided in non original packaging, (and likely sans instructions too)

W

Waffen Bucks

\ said:
Thanks, I might just have a bash at the kit i've been looking at, not too pricey so it won't be terrible if it doesn't go too well. Main worry is that it's a recast and provided in non original packaging, (and likely sans instructions too)
My trooper was a recast. Plain cardboard box, instructions in Japanese or another far eastern language. There weren't too many parts so it was straight forward to put together. But if it isn't to expensive, then give it a go.