Harrier

F

Fenlander

A couple of shots of the Harrier main thrust nozzles. although this aircraft is no longer in service, it does give an idea of the burning of the rear heat shield and the colour of the front nozzle is how I have seen them on flying types. There is no paint or rust on this front nozzle, the metal just has a burnt bronze coloration.

Front Nozzle

B

bikerbart

Nice pics again. I had no idea the Harrier was no longer in service, thanks Graham, ive learnt something new today :smiling:

F

Fenlander

Nooo, although it is being fazed out, I meant this particular aircraft is no longer in service not the type.

B

bikerbart

\ said:
Nooo, although it is being fazed out, I meant this particular aircraft is no longer in service not the type.
Ahhhh got ya...der brain me lol. Thanks for putting me right, i would ave looked pretty daft telling everyone lol. Seems crazy though that they are ganna be phazed out...unless its to make way for an improved similar type, such a versatile aircraft?

B

backonthecase

Nice shots Graham. The forward nozzles blow cooler (IIRC around 110 degrees C) gas than the rear ones, hence the lack of staining/heatshield.

Pardon me if this is something you already know, but I am a TEEEEEENNNNSY wee bit of a Harrier fan! Where was this taken?

Stuart

F

Fenlander

Midlands Air Museum just outside Coventry Stuart. Here is a link to the museum

B

backonthecase

Cool. I've been there many years ago. I got a tour of the Vulcan flight deck and nav/radar area. Very nice museum. It used to have a canberra cockpit that was accessible too.

Stuart