Hasegawa 1/72 F-14a Tomcat

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I'm not too familiar with US types having not built anything US for years! But I've had an idea for a 'what if'. So, it the Hasegawa F-14a a good kit? Or could you recommend an alternative?s-l1600.png

Miko (adding to the stash, eeeeeeek!)

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Miko, One of my targets for a build later, haven't chosen a manufacturer yet, Flory models review rates the "Fine Molds" kit highly but its most expensive, Hasegawa seems to build up ok so is a contender, I usually build 1/48th but these big jets are big enough in 1/72 display wise will be following this thread with interest

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Hi Miko, One of my targets for a build later, haven't chosen a manufacturer yet, Flory models review rates the "Fine Molds" kit highly but its most expensive, Hasegawa seems to build up ok so is a contender, I usually build 1/48th but these big jets are big enough in 1/72 display wise will be following this thread with interest

I saw that Flory models review too, the Fine Molds kit is indeed fine, but it comes at a premium, I'm not sure I can justify around £50 for a 1/72 model kit, not to say i haven't before but as far as the F-14 is concerned there are options. I also saw the Flory models review of the Platz F-14, a well engineered kit but heavy on the surface detail, so, I've had great results with Hasegawa hence my inquiry

Miko (m..must. . . re..sist!! impulse. . . .. . . . purchase!!! . . . . .gnn!! aarrggh!!! [payment accepted] . . .Nooooooooooo!! ) Ha!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI MIKO yes i'll be followin your tomcat build really great airplane as im havin fun building mine even though its a sloppy fit
chrisb

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
HI MIKO yes i'll be followin your tomcat build really great airplane as im havin fun building mine even though its a sloppy fit
chrisb
Might be a while, but yep, please do, I always appreciate critical input

Miko (modeling only theoretically recently)

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That’s a nice kit but of its age. I built one years ago and enjoyed it.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
There are at least two versions of the Hasegawa 1/72 F-14 mould. Seek the engraved moulds; the raised versions build up fine but as Rick said they are showing their age. Some of the engraved mould kits include photo-etch frets. You may need aftermarket decals if the decals are of the older type, the newer sets are perfectly fine.

If I were you I would seriously consider the new Academy kit (2019 onwards).