Hello all…after some beginners advice!

First Name
Chris
Hello and welcome iv built a few bike kits, what i tend to do is flick through the whole build see where the hard bits are or anything I'm not sure off, good thing for you is its a tamiya kit and these tend to go together very well, next step for me is to cut out the parts for section 1 clean these up remove mould lines and any lumps or bumps once i get these done i will put the parts of the same colour together and prime this will highlight any issues, if your happy air brush or rattle can (face mask, extraction ventilation required) repeat repeat & repeat body work fairings and the like i sometimes bond at the start of a build fill where required and paint this gives them time to harden before you need them or before you add decals saves on Finger prints tooo
but don't be hard on your self, the you tubers are beyond good… they turn out fantastic builds not just bikes, its a learning curve for most of us and most importantly its for your enjoyment great thing about this site is all the help & everyone is friendly and not critical none of us build perfectly
any question ask away some one will always be willing to advise
My first build (12 years ago) alway worth keeping as a reminder of where you started and how far you have come it was hand painted (badly) but i think im getting the hang of it now
View attachment 465302
Simon

Great advice thank you.

Planning is going to be a challenge but I think trial and error is inevitable!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks for the advice! I’m slowly building up what I need and the model arrived this morning.

Plenty of research on here before I start I think, some of the builds on the bike section look amazing.

I’m always guilty of jumping into things quickly but can see from the onset that this is a take your time hobby!
Chris,
one valuable research site is Scalemates https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-14010-suzuki-gsx1100s-katana--129741 as an example.............
You can download the instructions - on the left hand side - useful for finding out what colours you need, and the complexity of the build. I always do this before buying any model - I like to see what I'm letting myself in for! Scalemates covers all kits, instructions aren't always there, but loads of information like date etc - bookmark the site!
Dave

First Name
Chris
Chris,
one valuable research site is Scalemates https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-14010-suzuki-gsx1100s-katana--129741 as an example.............
You can download the instructions - on the left hand side - useful for finding out what colours you need, and the complexity of the build. I always do this before buying any model - I like to see what I'm letting myself in for! Scalemates covers all kits, instructions aren't always there, but loads of information like date etc - bookmark the site!
Dave

That’s great thanks for that, bookmarked already!

I can see this taking over all my free time !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome to the site Chris.

Best two pieces of advice, which are really applicable to all forms of modelling, are as follows:

Try each piece before gluing it, and only stick it in place if it fits properly.

Visualise the painting sequence before sticking a part in place. If painting either the part itself, or the part it is being glued to, will be difficult with the part in place, paint them first…..

Third bit of advice is to post pictures and ask questions. Whatever the issue, somebody on here will have a way forward for you :thumb2:

First Name
Chris
Welcome to the site Chris.

Best two pieces of advice, which are really applicable to all forms of modelling, are as follows:

Try each piece before gluing it, and only stick it in place if it fits properly.

Visualise the painting sequence before sticking a part in place. If painting either the part itself, or the part it is being glued to, will be difficult with the part in place, paint them first…..

Third bit of advice is to post pictures and ask questions. Whatever the issue, somebody on here will have a way forward for you :thumb2:

Some good advice thank you.

Just returned from my local model shop with all the Tamiya paint I need.

I’ve now ( I think ) got everything I need to get cracking!

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some good advice thank you.

Just returned from my local model shop with all the Tamiya paint I need.

I’ve now ( I think ) got everything I need to get cracking!
but did you get some thinners too?

practice with your airbrush first so you get a feel how it works (and learn how to clean it afterwards too)
dont forget primer......i use automotive primer out of a rattle can.....cheap and quick

you will find this is a hobby.....like golf and fishing.......where there is a gazillion gizmos and tools out there..........but think laterally and you can do it on the cheap

First Name
Chris
but did you get some thinners too?

practice with your airbrush first so you get a feel how it works (and learn how to clean it afterwards too)
dont forget primer......i use automotive primer out of a rattle can.....cheap and quick

you will find this is a hobby.....like golf and fishing.......where there is a gazillion gizmos and tools out there..........but think laterally and you can do it on the cheap

Yes got some thinners and some primer, had a good chat with the manager and made sure ii had everything!

Was a well stocked shop and it’s 2 mins away from my work which is a bonus!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome to the forum Chris, I've only built a modern bike kit once just for the fun of it. It was a Tamiya kit so no probs with the fit. Clean up was also easy as there were few mold seams. Not the usual way I normally build as it was mainly a paint in sub assemblies and fitting together later thingy. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Tamiya kits.
I am impressed by some builders who modify the 1/35 scale army Harleys into road bikes.

Cheers,
Richard

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
The main thing to aim for, IMHO, is that you’re happy with the result, and if you’re not, that you at least learn from it how to do it better on the next one — as well as how to live with things you feel you could have done better :smiling3:
The advice above from Jakko is good and is what I aim for.

I've only been doing this since January and try to learn from people here and also my own mistakes, of which there are many. My aim is to have a hobby which I enjoy. I'm not very good at it at the moment, compared to others here, but every model is fun and a learning experience.

Mike

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris .
Being a member of a forum like this where there is help available is the best way to improve.
The importance of positive encouraging remarks lifts the builder to greater work, while a nit picking remark can crush some people, resulting in giving up .
We all started with mistakes and still do , you just get better at hiding them ;)
Keep going .

Last edited:
First Name
Chris
Chris .
Being a member of a forum like this where there is help available is the best way to improve.
The importance of positive encouraging remarks lifts the builder to greater work, while a nit picking remark can crush some people, resulting to giving up .
We all started with mistakes and still do , you just get better at hiding them ;)
Keep going .

I’ve not been here long but it’s refreshing to see so much positivity within a group online!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Chris, it might have been mentioned before in replies to your intro. (at first glance, I can't find a reference) but the forum shop here on Scale models provides good value and excellent service.

Have fun - I do!

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
but the forum shop here on Scale models provides good value and excellent service.

Especially if you become a SMF supporter and get an extra 5% off the price :smiling3:

• Haha
Reactions: JR