Hello from Guernsey

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi

I posted a very brief 'hello'' when I registered but thought it is time to post a better introduction.

I am another MilMod refugee.

I was born on, and live on Guernsey, and before anybody asks - I have never eaten any pie made from potato peelings! My father lived through the Occupation and never spoke of potato peel pie but did recall often eating potatoes on one day and the peelings the next - often in a soup. Dad also recalled making "coffee" from acorns, drying rose petals to make a tobacco substitute and boiling sea water to get salt.

Some of my models were Occupation themed and you may have seen some articles of mine published in the now defunct Military Modelling magazine.

I have been modelling, on and off for many years, a mixture of figures and vehicles, but currently focussing on sculpting busts - at the moment mainly VC recipients and English Civil War subjects.

I hope to be an active member of the forum, hoping that other members will comment honestly on my work - only by constructive comment (both good and bad) can we get better. When I post or comment i will do so with the intention of any comment being constructive and hopefully I will not offend anybody, if i so please let me know.

I also apologise for the poor spelling, I mostly post from my ipad - well that's my excuse!

Here are some photos of some past efforts:

One for Stug fans:
C9A47FDE-7835-4F33-A789-3A255BF058B4.jpeg

The next re-creates a photo from the occupation. Germans on exercise set up their Pak in the gateway of the local St John's Ambulance station, the StationCheif took some photos from a bedroom window Irisking deportation had he been seen) before 'phoning the HQ asking for the gun to be moved, which it was.
4503315D-FBD7-4388-9D71-07D6EABD2A55.jpeg
7FAE7964-2A7F-4242-A1E5-B80A288C6DA5.jpeg

The next were a technical painting exercise I tried - I used a very limited palette, only one of each of the primary colours plus white and silver. I am sure that my painting improved as a result ot trying this.

459AE008-F878-4E06-B92A-3FDF5E0BCB49.jpeg

My first, and so far only attempt at a boxed diroama with object source lighting.
535AD7F9-1743-41DF-8063-A29D27D371C6.jpeg

The water is not really the colour of treacle - a poor photo:
72506A22-9134-4877-AB8C-25072A20CF08.jpeg

And finally based on one of my favourite WW2 escape stories;

D6E5751E-8B34-41F4-B47E-E2A63A8827C9.jpeg

D

Deleted member 6559

Great to see you here Peter and to be reminded of these great builds.

Peter.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Peter
Lovely to see some of your builds again. Great to have you here:thumb2:

F

Fenlander

Welcome Peter and it is great to see some of the other side of you. I only know you from the excellent busts you have produced which I have had the pleasure to paint (badly) :smiling5:

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter,
It's good to see you and your work on here, I'm looking forward to seeing more
regards Jim

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Peter,
Glad to see you here and some of your past builds which I have not seen.

Cheers Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely to see these again, thanks Peter.
Cheers
Tim

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Peter and welcome aboard, cracking builds :thumb2:.
Pete.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Welcome Peter ,
do like your work,and look forward to seeing more,:smiling:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys
Thank you for the warm welcome. The photos show my main modelling problem - I try too many different things resulting in a 'jack of all trades, master of none' level. Modelling is for fun, and trying different things is fun so I am happy with the compromise.