Hello from Kent

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Welcome Ralph, from another Man of Kent, from Dover, myself. I got back into the hobby myself around 2010, building mostly 1/32 aircraft. Enjoy both this rewarding hobby and this excellent forum.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi folks,

My name is Ralph and I am about to have another go at scale modelling. I have not built a model kit for several decades and everything has changed. My airbrushes are getting on for 50 (yes fifty!) years old and the last time I painted a model, the only paint choice at my local model shop was Airfix or Humbrol enamels. I have been looking at all the now stuff out there and still trying to take it all in. I was an armour modeller and heavily into WWI 1:32 scale. I also modelled WWII in 1:76 and 1:35 scale. The choice of kits was fairly limited back then. At the time I worked for a now, long defunct model magazine. The editor there was a rail enthusiast and I spent a long time going down that path. Life and work took over and I spent many years away from the hobby. Now, retired and in my late sixties, I am coming back to the hobby.

Early days at the moment, but I am looking forward to catching up on the theory, while I build my new workshop/model room. I may have to buy some stuff on the way.

I look forward to joining in and I will probably be asking a few questions, at least initially...
Hi Ralph, I’m pretty much in the same boat but am now one and a half kits built after my hiatus. You are spot on about changes especially enamels - I think most use acrylics now - it seems to me that no more point and spray - all about thinning down and compressor pressures etc. Anyway I hope you enjoy your stay here! I’m also a Garden of England man so hail fellow man! :cool:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Ralph!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome Ralph. Nice to see another ex P4 boy on here :smiling: . Never did much in narrow gauge though, just a couple of vehicles in O/16mm for my brother in laws steam garden railway. Seemed huge after the P4 4mm stuff.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Rslph

welcome. as others have said - things have changed in the modelling world. Fewer physical model shops (shame) but far more choice of kits and upgrading sets.

interesting your mention of and old airbrush, originally in 1979\ I bought a Badger twin action airbrush and over the years have tried others, including Iwata but I keep returning to my trusty Badger. yours may be old but if it still works there is probably nothing wrong with it.

Peter

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome Ralph,
There will be a lot of help available to steer you back into the hobby on this forum.
Mike.