Here's one for you...

P

Paul1978

Does anyone recall the real name of the notorious Stalin's Organ?

Those who get it right get.... emmmmm... 10 Brownie points ;)

D

dubster72

katyusha or something like that I think? The spelling may be wrong!

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
BM-8 (82mm) and BM-13 (132mm) rocket launchers. Nick named Katyusha. Don't know why but isn't it a diminutive of Ekatherina?

Steve

P

Paul1978

Spot on lads! yeah, the spelling is right and Steve you're correct about it being a diminuitive of the name Ekaterina. Interestingly enough all Russian names have diminuitive forms. My daughter is called Alexandra and her "short" name is Sasha. For me Paul there's Pasha, Pavlik, Pavlusha and many more. Strange :smiling3: I'm trying desperately hard to find a model of the Katyusha by a reputable company and not Zvezda :smiling3:

Paul

F

Fenlander

Revill/Italeri do a decent 1/35, Revell 1/35 BM-13 Katyusha Stalins Orgaon # 03076

Here is a link to one built OOB TRACK-LINK / Gallery / BM-13 Katyusha

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just found this on t'interweb:

The 82mm BM-8 and 132mm BM-13 Katyusha rocket launchers were built and fielded by the Soviet Union in World War II. The launcher got this unofficial, but immediately recognized in the Red Army, name from the title of a Russian wartime song, Katyusha about a girl longing for her beloved, who is away on military service. Katyusha is a tender diminutive of a female name: Ekatherina (Katherine) -> Katya -> Katyusha

I bet it was a bloody awful song!

Steve

D

dubster72

No words for the song then Steve? Mind you, I bet it was better than being under a salvo of those rockets!

P

Paul1978

Interesting stuff Steve. I'll download it tonight and let my ears bleed :smiling3: There are almost as many Katyushas as T-34s at the numerous museums around Moscow. Lovely machines and an ingenious idea really.

And Graham, you're a star for finding that into. It looks like i might have to accidentally use the credit card again and place an order... by accident :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think the Russians got the idea from the German Nebelwerfer. I know that dates from before the war.The Germans were pretty good at rocketry.

Cheers

Steve

P

Paul1978

Hi Steve

I think the Germans were good at pretty much everything. Mentioning rocketry, something interesting i once saw when i was living in Germany; a friend of mine invited me to his parents in a town called Nordhausen in central Germany. Just outside the town was an old concentration camp (now museum) called Mittelbau Dora. It was actually at this camp where the V1 and V2 rockets were produced. 5km of tunnel were dug out inside the hill (Harz Gebirge) and there were rusty V1 and V2s littered about all over the place after the Americans stormed the camp. It's a very solomn place but also very interesting. My German mate slated the RAF for flattening Nordhausen, which was rebuilt as a communist dump, because our bombers couldn't find the target and dropped their loads on the once beautiful German town.

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
My German mate slated the RAF for flattening Nordhausen, which was rebuilt as a communist dump, because our bombers couldn't find the target and dropped their loads on the once beautiful German town.

Cheers

Paul
Yep,it's called reaping the whirlwind.

Steve