Hi everyone - off to a bad start with first model!

I

ian

Hi everyone, new joiner! I've managed to apply an enamel gloss varnish to acrylic paintwork on my 1:12 Testarossa. I have horrendous crackling in places..up to a few mm thick! I've tried thinners with no effect. Does anyone have any thoughts for removing the crackling so I can start again? Thanks, Ian (P.s. my return key doesn't work in this dialogue box...is that normal?)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
To remove enamel paint/varnish you can use oven cleaner which i believe is caustic based. Oh and welcome to the forum

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Ian welcome to the forum. As allyne says oven cleaner , or Fairy power spray is supposed to be quite good too

cheers

tony

p.s

ive just found out what the

return

key

does (i'm not very computer minded!!!) cheers tony

M

mobear

ho ian wlcm to the forum,and it took my 7 yr old twins to point out the return key gives you a new line

mobear

First Name
Aaron
Ian pop your testarossa in a sealable plastic bag,Spray enough ovencleaner into it so that the whole kit is covered.

Seal the bag and leave overnight.

The next day put some gloves on and run water, gently scrub the model with a tootbrush.

repeat if needed altho once has always been enough for me.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi and welcome to the forum Ian.

I'll go with what the other guys say, never tried it myself, but have read good things from those who have.

Best of luck with the kit.

Tony.

M

m1ks

Reference for when you start again.

General rule of thumb is the 'hotter' the paint base, the higher up the application rung it goes.

A common acronym is LEA, Lacquer, (cellulose), enamel, acrylic. Layer on in that order.

You can put enamel or cellulose over acrylic but it's a chance every time, the base has to be fully cured not just dry and the top coat applied very carefully.

Best bet is stuck to the same type and brand throughout till you've experimented with some.

I

ian

Thanks for the replies (and the welcomes!). I stripped it back, laid an overnight acrylic base coat, sprayed next coat of red again in the morning and within 10mins I had appalling rash again. Just noticed other thread about cold weather...and in both cases I sprayed in the garage or in a cold room. Back to square one...I bet Enzo didn't have these issues. (my return key still doesn't work in the reply box...odd...but running Windows 8...where 'not quite working properly' is the order of the day)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It sounds to me that the red might be a 'hot' one; is it an auto rattle can?

As Mike wrote, although it cellulose paints can be sprayed over acrylic, its a chance every time. I would try to get another Red in enamel or acrylic. Failing that get a primer that is matched to the paint.

Ian M